Installed a mod? Broke your forum? No backup? This might help.

Started by kat, September 12, 2010, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArrayInteractive

;D

Truth be told I've become a little too comfortable with the ease of working with smf packages, things usually work so awesomely that it never occurred to me that I should backup before I try X. Despite the numerous warnings everywhere  :o
smf 2.0.2

kat

* K@ burns his sig into the subconchuss bits of ArrayInteractive's (What a silly name!) psyche...

repxl

better is removing all the files and copy it new no ? cuz then you will keep the stucky files there . when you just copy and override it

kat

* K@ doesn't understand that last post...

If you're saying that overwriting all the files with new ones would work, you're right. Problem is, it'll also destroy all of your other mods, too.

Not a good idea, at all. ;)

AndreasN

kat

Segnali

sorry guys I'm a total noob: where and what should I backup? Is there a guide for noobs?  :-[

Thank you!

Srinib

Great SMF has this feature, and i feel secure after i came to know about this.

I have been testing a bunch of MODs in one of my test forum. I install them, uninstall them, again install and again uninstall and so on. So the backup files kept increasing in /Packages/backups.

Can i delete the earlier ones?

kat

Yep. It might be an idea to keep 'em on your hard disk, though, in case you ever need 'em.

If you KNOW that you're never gonna need 'em, dump 'em. :)

Cyberhost

The Knight

Quote from: Cyberhost on September 21, 2013, 02:43:11 PM
Actually I broke my forum while I uninstalled a mod :D

Same thing happened to me. I am pretty new at this...my first forum. Now when I type in the address nothing shows up i.e. white page.

I was able to fix the forum by following the instructions.

klra

Will this procedure solve a damage database issue?

I have database tables that got emptied by accident and my forums are very broken.

I do have a SMF database_complete backup but can't get it restored.

Will this procedure set it back to the latest mod install date?

margarett

No... This is just for *files* modified by MOD installation.

Check with your host, maybe they have automated daily backups ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

klra

They don't have a backup as I had exceeded the max # of inodes (whic I fixed).

All I have then is older complete backup database backup (from the Admin panel) to work with. But I can't find reliable information on how to restore from that file.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Illori

Quote from: klra on May 16, 2014, 10:58:12 PM
They don't have a backup as I had exceeded the max # of inodes (whic I fixed).

All I have then is older complete backup database backup (from the Admin panel) to work with. But I can't find reliable information on how to restore from that file.

this user started their own thread http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=522603.0 please keep replies to that thread to keep confusion to a minimum.

Advertisement: