News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Redirection Topics

Started by Arantor, November 11, 2009, 10:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NekoJonez

True that. Thanks man. I will keep an eye on this topic for updates. :D
Retro video game blogger, writer, actor, podcaster and general amazing dude.

Twitter
My Blog

radu81

Well that's a very nice mod, I always forget to delete my redirection topics

thank you Arantor!
sorry for my bad english

Black Tiger

Got a question, not sure if it's caused by this mod, or that it's default SMF behaviour.

When moving a topic, leaving a redirect, below the redirected topictitle, there is a line which says "started by xxxxxx" where xxxx is the moderator who moved the topic.
The topic however is not started by that moderator, so it should be either "started by yyyy" where yyyy is the original topic starter, or "moved by xxxxxxx" where xxxx is the moderator who moved the topic. Correct?

I hope I could explain what I mean.

I put a screenshot with an arrow, so you can see what I mean. Moderator here is freggel1.

Both topics were started by a user named marie. In the board where the posts were moved to, topic says correctly "started by marie".
But as you can see in the screenshot, in the original board, it says started by freggel1, which is not true because he did not start the topic. The "by freggel1" on the right side is correct, he was the last poster in that topic.

What could be causing this? And can this be fixed somehow?
Greetings, Black Tiger

Shambles

"freggel1" created the "move topic" notice, though, so that's correct as it stands.

Arantor

This isn't the mod; this is SMF's standard behaviour - and exactly as Shambles points out, the moderator is the one who moves the topic therefore it is the moderator who creates the 'moved...' topic.

Black Tiger

Is that even grammatical correct? You start a "moved" topic, something which is in that case started and directly stopped also? Very strange, but ok, let's not discuss about that.:)

However. This way it gives the impression that the topic was started by moderator as well because the topic starter is what's normally mentioned by default under a topic title.

Wouldn't it be way better (also language wise) and more to the point and correct to have a "moved by" there instead? Assumed that the name of the "moving" moderator/admin is really necessary to be displayed anyway?

So if this is default (and correct???) behaviour my question remains, can this be fixed, in any of these 3 ways somehow? In order of importance:
1.) Change "Started by" to "moved by"
2.) Replace moderator name by real topic starter name
3.) Remove the started by on moved topics completely.

Excuse me for posting this here if this is default SMF behaviour, I can't move it to the correct section myself, so please moderators, move it to the correct section.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

You start a topic to indicate you moved another topic. It's grammatically correct, it has been discussed many times with the position you suggest and every time it has been disagreed with changing, precisely so that you avoid the alternative which is 'how did non-moderators move a topic' which is also how come it behaves *this* way.

This is default SMF behaviour as I already outlined. Changing it is distinctly complicated. Even changing the UI in *any* of the ways presented is difficult, though funnily enough option 2 is the hardest to do.

Black Tiger

I can agree since it's indeed a topic which is started instead of only a redirect (without topic content). I'm glad to see it's discussed many times. I never seen any "how did non-moderatosr move a topic" on any other software, which also does not display moderators name under the topic title. But then again, they only have a topic redirect, not a move topic with content like SMF.
So I understand the SMF way of thinking because of this. Just wondering... since it's discusses many times, was there never the thought to change it to "moved by" in newer versions?

However, since you state it would be very complicated to fix it in any of the 3 ways mentioned... we will have to learn and live with it.;)

Thank you both for the quick answers and explanation.
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

Precisely *because* it's complicated, though it should be easier in 2.1.

Black Tiger

That would be nice! Thanks!
Greetings, Black Tiger

Arantor

I doubt anyone would actually change it.

Black Tiger

Well I don't mind a lot. Because of your nice redirection mod, on our boards there are only redirects created which we have set to 3 days. So it's only displayed 3 days.
Great mod!
Greetings, Black Tiger

Advertisement: