News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public!

Started by [Unknown], June 26, 2005, 10:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoRad

I had an interesting situation with upgrading to 1.1 beta 3.
I use Mambo and upgraded without any trouble at all. It took me about 1/2 hour to do everything, including the pre-upgrade backup process.

Here's my problem... Upon investigating the nice new admin panel, I noticed that 1 user was still pending authorization, even though I use immediate registration. This user is a known user on my site, and he has deleted his account two or three times in the past for "conspiracy" reasons. When I saw this inactive account I clicked on it and it said this user was awaiting activation. There was no information present, and a day or two ago this user had changed his name from what I was seeing here to something else (I allow users to change their displayed name). So I naturally figured this was a duplicate account that never got authorized and he signed up for another one. It was pending from May of this year.

Ok... Problem is, after I clicked to delete this account, his normal account is gone and it changed all of his recent posts that had the new username back to the old username that I just deleted and listed him as a "guest" ... So, why did it delete his current account and why was it showing up as pending activation since May? Weird.

[Unknown]

It may have been that he changed his email, which would make him pending activation.

-[Unknown]

NoRad

Or that he maybe deleted his account again? lol I dunno, but I haven't heard from him yet. The pending since May doesn't sound right thought?

dar

When it is no longer beta, will there be an 'easier' way to install 1.1?

Some have had great success, some haven't.

The instructions assume we know what they are saying, e.g "execute upgrade.php" - I haven't a clue how to 'run' it. or what 'The following files need to be CHMOD'ed to 777.' means

Also, I have no idea whether, say blue-jeans theme, can be added.

This seems a great upgrade - but as users, not all of us understand your instructions - though I am sure many do.

Can't you 'automate' the install - even for the beta? I'm dying to use 1.1(beta)  which must be reasonably stable but the thought of installing by hand fills me with trepidation ... especially as I don't know if it is days, weeks or months before it is not a beta.

dar

dtm.exe

Quote from: dar on August 11, 2005, 10:35:09 PM
When it is no longer beta, will there be an 'easier' way to install 1.1?

Some have had great success, some haven't.

The instructions assume we know what they are saying, e.g "execute upgrade.php" - I haven't a clue how to 'run' it. or what 'The following files need to be CHMOD'ed to 777.' means

Also, I have no idea whether, say blue-jeans theme, can be added.

This seems a great upgrade - but as users, not all of us understand your instructions - though I am sure many do.

Can't you 'automate' the install - even for the beta? I'm dying to use 1.1(beta)  which must be reasonably stable but the thought of installing by hand fills me with trepidation ... especially as I don't know if it is days, weeks or months before it is not a beta.

dar

The installer we have now is already easy.  Although, I would be more than happy to install amy version of SMF for you :).

-Dan The Man

dar

QuoteAlthough, I would be more than happy to install amy version of SMF for you Smiley

If that is an offer - I would willingly say "yes" - with hearty thanks ??
dar

dar

I can't even find php.ini in any folder ...
where should it be and is it an essential file?

Many thanks.
dar

dtm.exe

Quote from: dar on August 11, 2005, 10:47:05 PM
If that is an offer - I would willingly say "yes" - with hearty thanks ??
dar

That's fine :).  I don't charge for my services :).

Quote from: dar on August 11, 2005, 11:18:35 PM

Many thanks.
dar

Are you running your own server or are you buying webspace from a host?

-Dan The Man

dar

buying webspace off a host, http://www.webcity.com.au/

My forum has only recently started for the needs of a small group of people.

I have ftp access - the forum starts on the first page of the website.

Many thanks,
dar

codenaught

Quote from: dar on August 11, 2005, 11:18:35 PM

Many thanks.
dar
Quote from: dar on August 12, 2005, 01:20:25 AM
buying webspace off a host, http://www.webcity.com.au/
If you have hosting from someplace you can't edit the php.ini file yourself. You probably don't need anything changed in it either. If there is something your host restricts that you need, I am afraid you are going to have to ask your host to enable it.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

dar

Thanks akabugeyes.

I'll ask them for a copy of it so I can see what's in it I guess.

Everybody's help greatly appreciated.
dar

NoRad

The installation process is already very simple. Chances are, anybody that has had significant trouble didn't follow the instructions properly. This installation took less than 1/2 hour and was seriously a piece of cake. I have a heavily modified and integrated website, and I found that there were only minor changes in the themes. I used a program called WinMerge to compare my custom themes with the new themese and copied information accordingly to make mine 1.1 beta 3 compliant.

Celtland

When I click on the members waiting for approval link (when there's a new member) I don't get to the activation page for that member.  I instead get redirected to the blank "Register New Member" page in the admin area.  I searched a few days ago and found someone with a similar problem - so updated all my files/language files as it suggested to do and it's still not working.  Minor though this is, any help is appreciated.
Is maith an scáthán súil carad.

A friends eye is a good mirror.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Celtland on August 12, 2005, 02:07:22 PM
When I click on the members waiting for approval link (when there's a new member) I don't get to the activation page for that member.  I instead get redirected to the blank "Register New Member" page in the admin area.  I searched a few days ago and found someone with a similar problem - so updated all my files/language files as it suggested to do and it's still not working.  Minor though this is, any help is appreciated.

Are you using a custom or old theme?  Are you sure it doesn't work with the default theme?

-[Unknown]

Celtland

We're using the Cerberus theme - for 1.1B3 - so that's probably it.  I just tested and it works perfectly with the default theme.  Is there a fix?
Is maith an scáthán súil carad.

A friends eye is a good mirror.

future assassin

Quote from: future assassin on August 08, 2005, 11:49:08 PM
Found a bug? At least on my website. When I log into the forum and go make a post right away I get  "The last posting from your IP was less than 30 seconds ago. Please try again later." then I have to wait 30 seconds and Im allowed to make a post or reply.

Hmm I was thinking that this would make a good anti bot feature on sites with no registaration activation. A bot registers and then tries to make a post but it cant as 30,40,etc seconds hasn't passed yet. Or if they manage to register manually when the bot logs in it cant post a message. Im sure the bot can be set up for a delay but thsi would fool a lot of bots.

bratsquad

OIDanTheManIO   Can you please help me. I'm literelly smf "STUPID".  Having issues, and would Love the help.

Thank you!

dtm.exe

Quote from: bratsquad on August 12, 2005, 10:27:18 PM
OIDanTheManIO   Can you please help me. I'm literelly smf "STUPID".  Having issues, and would Love the help.

Thank you!

What is it that you need help with?

-Dan The Man

bratsquad

Well all of it. I have smf 1.0 beta 5. And i'm trying to upgrade. I even had a friend of mine try to help me. And we kept getting all kinds of undefined errors. After about 2 hours we finally gave up. If you could give me any advice of what we could be doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

dtm.exe

Quote from: bratsquad on August 14, 2005, 02:10:03 AM
Well all of it. I have smf 1.0 beta 5. And i'm trying to upgrade. I even had a friend of mine try to help me. And we kept getting all kinds of undefined errors. After about 2 hours we finally gave up. If you could give me any advice of what we could be doing wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.

What were some of the errors you were getting?

-Dan The Man

Advertisement: