News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Help : Google Typed Hindi True Fonts not Showing

Started by purnenduchauhan, October 31, 2010, 12:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purnenduchauhan

Friends,

Just upgraded my Forum from SMF 2 RC2 to SMF RC3.

Ran some maintenance modes.

Now I am facing the problem of Display of True Fonts of Hindi.

Have a look
http://younguttarakhand.com/community/index.php
Suggest a remedy asap as half of my board contain these fonts.

purnenduchauhan

No reply so far   :-X :-X :-X
I am getting perplexed ....

Norv

Hello there!

And sorry for the delay.
Please, make first a backup copy of your Settings.php from the forum directory, to be sure.
Then, open your file in a code editor, and add to it before the last line: (on some line before the ?>)

$db_character_set = 'utf8';

Save it and upload it back online.

Please, let us know how it goes.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

purnenduchauhan

The line was already there.

However I added it but no changes.  :-[

Norv

Can you please login in phpmyadmin, choose your database, then select the smf_messages table (you might have a different prefix than "smf_", but the messages table), and the "Structure" tab, and make a screenshot of it?
Of the Structure tab, no other.

Please attach that screenshot here.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

purnenduchauhan

purnenduchauhan

No reply so far.

My board is doommmmmmmed............  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Norv

Sorry for the delay... Can you please tell, if you look at the message body in phpmyadmin, how do you see the characters?
For example, if you select the messages table, and the tab "browse", then look at the body column, do its contents appear correctly?

purnenduchauhan

No the content do not appear correctly.

Now what to do :(

Norv

When you look at phpmyadmin page, at your database, can you please tell what is the character set it is encoded in: right click the page, and "view source" - you may find something like

content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

What is the charset for your phpmyadmin page?

purnenduchauhan

Here it is
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
    content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" />
<script type="text/javascript">

Norv

1. Do you have a backup of your files from before the upgrade? If yes, could you please check it out and PM me the contents of your Settings.php file? (please feel free to edit out the passwords and such, but leave all the rest in place)

2. Could you eventually remove completely the line:

$db_character_set = 'utf8';

from your Settings.php file, upload the changed file, then refresh the forum? How do characters appear, when the line isn't there AT ALL ?

purnenduchauhan

Just removed this line and everything became normal..... :D

Thanks A LOADSSSS.

But still I would like to know what exactly has happened.

Norv

I'm afraid your database tables (their rows) have actually a different character set than the data in them. I don't know how this happened, but it is very dangerous: you risk losing data. It seems that for now, it was just a problem of displaying the characters - okay, but it could become worse: data can be corrupted. (well not by SMF normal behavior, to my knowledge - not in RC4 - but I can't guarantee for anything else).

Maybe it would be good to ask your host if they changed something, did they change default character sets of the database? Did they converted the database or tried to? Did you perhaps?
Did you happen to have a mod keeping history of posts revisions?

Whatever it was, the database should be set to the correct charset and collation, to be safe in the future...

Advertisement: