News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Notify on behalf of others

Started by Mimmi, February 22, 2010, 05:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Ian, 

that was somewhat rude...   please understand that, whatever you might want (or think you need) on your own server...  WE have to consider the effect features will have on EVERY server.

The server load for this sort of feature could be HUGE, so making this a standard feature does not make sense... because the inexperienced admin might say "wow, this seems like something I should turn on" only to have their site shut down by the host for over-using the resources.   THAT is why this belongs as a mod which requires an admin to actively install it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ian S

>that was somewhat rude...   

It was not meant to be, just a little pointed perhaps.

>..whatever you might want (or think you need)...

Replies on this, and related, topics do come over as somewhat arrogant.

I accept that the effect COULD be huge, but I use loads of scripts, software etc on my website that could have huge effects on the server and on users, but mostly the authors are content with warning me of the potential problems, rather than telling me that I don't need it.

The fact is that after using SMF for more than 2 years, I am now looking at other board software, with all the work and upheaval that will arise. My users want the facility, I want it and it won't be a problem on our board.

I will be happy with a MOD, but there isn't one.

Ian

Kindred

we never said "you don't need it"
We said, the effect could be huge
and implied (because it's true) that many admins could/would kill their servers without knowing what they are doing.

So, we have merely said that this will not be part of the smf core code...
and if you want it as a mod, then you might want to post in the mod requests section rather than feature requests.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Norv

We are looking to expand and enhance in the future the area of official mods/extensions as well. While a feature could indeed be considered risky for SMF core, it could very well be requested enough (needed by the community) to be taken into account as official developed and supported mod.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Ian S

QuoteWe are looking to expand and enhance in the future the area of official mods/extensions as well. While a feature could indeed be considered risky for SMF core, it could very well be requested enough (needed by the community) to be taken into account as official developed and supported mod.

Thanks Kindred and Norv,

Sounds promising. I will post something on Mod Requests.

Ian

Ian S

Quote from: Norv on November 23, 2010, 12:04:19 AM
We are looking to expand and enhance in the future the area of official mods/extensions as well. While a feature could indeed be considered risky for SMF core, it could very well be requested enough (needed by the community) to be taken into account as official developed and supported mod.

The following has just been posted by a Super Hero as reply to my Mod Request:-

"This really isn't possible due to the way SMF stores notification info - it's stored in the database for each member (for "new replies", one per topic per member, for "new topics", one per board per member)."

Does he know something that you don't, or vice versa.

Ian

Norv

It is possible. :) I believe that it is simply what was said before: it would require either quite some additional processing at various operations, or a bit of a rewrite of notifications storing code.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: