permission to allow certain access

Started by grninja, December 22, 2010, 11:02:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grninja

I am trying to allow normal members access to read a certain board , reply to a certain bored but NOT post new topics

I have tried reading the online manual and search on here and I cannot seem to find someone who does the same..

I must either be blind or its not there

please help obi wan

thanks
GR

Spoogs

grninja

Quote from: Spoogs on December 22, 2010, 11:06:32 AM
Permissions ;)

I Have looked through the permissions , I recently moved from version 1 now

on version 2 rc4

exactly where in the permissions can you set just a certain board to read and reply only for guest

but say for a VIP membergroup can post new threads.

you comment is not helpful in the slightest cause I am not a complete tard I relise its in permission but what is the exact settings

Spoogs

Look at permission profiles first admin>>members>>permissions>>edit profile
permission profiles are assigned to boards

Each permission profile allows memebergroups certain permissions on boards with the assigned permission profile

grninja

Quote from: Spoogs on December 22, 2010, 11:20:56 AM

Each permission profile allows memebergroups certain permissions on boards with the assigned permission profile

but how do I make a board for 1 group say VIP be able to post

but then the normal members with no primary usergroup reply only

ARG01

Quote from: grninja on December 22, 2010, 11:02:31 AM
I am trying to allow normal members access to read a certain board , reply to a certain bored but NOT post new topics

When creating or modifying a board you have a small dropdown with a few choices. Just select the "Reply Only" option.  No membergroup permission settings needed. They will be able to read and reply but not start new topics.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

grninja

Quote from: G1 on December 22, 2010, 11:29:13 AM
Quote from: grninja on December 22, 2010, 11:02:31 AM

When creating or modifying a board you have a small dropdown with a few choices. Just select the "Reply Only" option.  No membergroup permission settings needed. They will be able to read and reply but not start new topics.

;)

I tried this but then this completely stops any other group being able to start new topics

Spoogs

Quote from: grninja on December 22, 2010, 11:26:47 AM

When you create a permission you can dictate what each membergroup is allowed to do

Lets get basic... have you created the Permission Profile you want to use?

sAce

ACP > Forum > Boards > Board Name > Permissions > Modify the Group, and apply the relevant permissions.

Spoogs

Thats dependent on having the right permission profile already assigned to that board.

sAce

grninja

Quote from: Spoogs on December 22, 2010, 11:39:44 AM
Quote from: grninja on December 22, 2010, 11:26:47 AM

Yes

When you create a permission you can dictate what each membergroup is allowed to do

Lets get basic... have you created the Permission Profile you want to use?

grninja

Quote from: S-Ace on December 22, 2010, 11:40:23 AM
ACP > Forum > Boards > Board Name > Permissions > Modify the Group, and apply the relevant permissions.

tried this and the only permission I have allow is reply to post OWN and OTHER so there is only 2 permissions for a member group I added 1 person to the member group and and they can still post new topics in the said board

so membergroup name = read only

set it to secondary member group and it will can still post new topics

if I set is to primary usergroup it then can post new topics to any of the board it is allowed to ...

Road Rash Jr.

;)

When I create a Read Only board on RC4 people can READ ONLY but cannot reply. That's the whole point of being READ ONLY. :laugh:
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

grninja

Quote from: Road Rash on December 22, 2010, 01:03:08 PM

;)

When I create a Read Only board on RC4 people can READ ONLY but cannot reply. That's the whole point of being READ ONLY. :laugh:

Well you clearly haven't read the whole thread and are a complete Tard

I want the board to be completely useable to a certain usergroup

and then for the rest of the normal users without a primary user group the be REPLY ONLY

so I have no idea where you get the idea I want the whole board to be read only

IceXaos

Quote from: grninja on December 23, 2010, 04:43:56 AM

;)

and then for the rest of the normal users without a primary user group the be REPLY ONLY

Don't act like a dick, or you'll lose all your help very quickly.  Now, what they told you is correct, you need to change the permissions for regular members.

Admin > Permissions (drop-down menu) > Edit Profiles

New Profile > Copy Permissions From [ Read Only ]

Now with the new profile you made, edit regular members and don't allow them to post.  Add this profile to each board you want to use these permissions.

grninja

Quote from: IceXaos on December 23, 2010, 04:48:38 AM
Quote from: grninja on December 23, 2010, 04:43:56 AM

;)

Don't act like a dick, or you'll lose all your help very quickly.  Now, what they told you is correct, you need to change the permissions for regular members.

Admin > Permissions (drop-down menu) > Edit Profiles

New Profile > Copy Permissions From [ Read Only ]

Now with the new profile you made, edit regular members and don't allow them to post.  Add this profile to each board you want to use these permissions.

but if its read only , then they won't be able to reply ????

I am sorry but if someone post something trying to make me look stupid when in fact they weren't reading the thread correctly then of course I am going to point out the error of there way,

just as you have put READ ONLY , when i want REPLY ONLY

IceXaos

Quote from: grninja on December 23, 2010, 04:52:44 AM
but if its read only , then they won't be able to reply ????

I am sorry but if someone post something trying to make me look stupid when in fact they weren't reading the thread correctly then of course I am going to point out the error of there way,

just as you have put READ ONLY , when i want REPLY ONLY
You set the permission for the group you want to be able to post, not regular members.  Just put down a wrong word, still the same concept.  Just because you copy from read only don't mean it's set in stone to stay read only, you can allow membergroups to post by changing the permissions inside it.

Advertisement: