News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 1.1.12 and GoDaddy E-Mail

Started by jIMsHIRTZ, January 16, 2011, 06:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jIMsHIRTZ

I have had SMF 1.1.12 installed by godaddy on my godaddy hosted site.
Everything works great except auto emails from the Forum.
I have checked all the forums but have yet to find any 1 have success using godaddy web mail as teh smtp setup or php.

Could someone please give me step by step setup along with what scripts to post and where they are located.

I am noob with php.

Illori

you are best to ask your host, or try to google. many people have issues with godaddy for hosting.

DavidCT

Gmail allows you to use them as a SMTP server, I believe, read this

Admin > Server settings > Feature Config:

Mail Type: smtp
Server: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 25 or 465 or 587
Username: [email protected]
Password: yourgmailpassword

I never tried it though.

jIMsHIRTZ

I contacted support and this is what they sent

Thank you for contacting Online Support. It is to my understanding that you are trying to send email from a website hosted with us. You must use our relay server to send email from a website:

relay-hosting.secureserver.net.  No authentication is required and if needed port 25 should be used.

I added the info, I also dropped the period after net  : )

Still no success

I uninstalled smf and had them reinstall it and tried again using both php default and smtp

I do believe i should be using smtp

They say no authentification required removed username and pass and still no luck.

I have tested the original smtp with my outlook and that worked fine.

Not sure what else to do except verify the code which I am unable to do cause i berely have scratched the surface of php coding.

I appreciate any insite from anyone whos generous enough to donate a little bit of there time.

Illori

have you tried googling your issue?

jIMsHIRTZ

Yes for about 12 hours total the last 2 days : )
Not much out there suprisingly

jIMsHIRTZ

No unfortunately the info is alil outdated because godaddy no longer has a different option for username and pass for smtp.

I tried the google option as well
someone also posted that i should use the relay server below and no luck
ssl://smtp.gmail.com

attached a copy of my config.

I have checked my spam filters.

I have been using the password recovery to test the email. After i enter the email address that i want recovered the forum refreshes and says an email has been sent. I have confirmed the email address is correct (no typos)

However no email in the yahoo mailbox from smf.

Illori

you are best to ask your host, as this seems more a host issue then smf. see if you can find a support forum for godaddy and ask there, or worst case find a new host that is not an overseller and has working easy to setup email.

jIMsHIRTZ

I have a few tickets in with them. This seems pretty straightforward. I dont understand the issue. FYI this is the error code for the config they game me. This seems to be them denying connection.

Illori

ask them to check the firewall for you.

jIMsHIRTZ

ok I have finally got them to acknowledge that there spam filter may be blocking the email for password recovery.
They now are requesting the email that it sends.

what file hosts the info fo rthe password recovery email?

freebird

I've been having the same issue but can't find the reason.  I called godaddy and they were able to test a php script to my outside email account.  Also my script on my website works but it is internal to godaddy.  Any emails sent to member or when using the contact mod get smtp 554 error because of virus or spam.  Is there anything that is being sent in those emails that might be getting flagged on the smf side?

freebird

There are also complaints from people using other software with Godaddy hosting and but mainly the emails just get delayed.  Every now and again I get a different error on the forum that says can't connect to relay-server which is the message I get every time on a website I have access to.  With the website the difference in the php is that it delays when the server takes long to respond and if it returns false it tries a few more times (this was done because of server response times on the host end).  In the case of the website it is intermittent but then the email takes a long time to get to the destination.  If I get some time I will try and do an adjustment on the forum to see if I can get more consistency or any email through at all.

jIMsHIRTZ

I sent them a sample of what the password recovery email would be. And so far they detemined that it may be that the email generated is not in plain text. I assume because there are hyperlinks??? This is already beyond ridiculous at this point. Can any one tell me how to edit the password recovery email so that it is plain text instead of creating links?

jIMsHIRTZ

oh for anyone whom reads this point the proper relay server info for smtp is

SMTP
relay-hosting.secureserver.net
Port = 25

No username and no password
Makes ure webmaster email is same as the one you are trying to relay with godaddy

SeaChaser

Hey Jim. I'm watching this thread because I just launched my first forum and used Go Daddy as well. I had the same issue with the email.

I'm trying to understand your comment "Makes ure webmaster email is same as the one you are trying to relay with godaddy"

If my Go Daddy email addy is [email protected] what do I need to change/check to make sure that happens? Is that in the System Settings/Core Configuration section?

Thanks in advance!

freebird

Quote from: jIMsHIRTZ on January 21, 2011, 03:30:22 PM
oh for anyone whom reads this point the proper relay server info for smtp is

SMTP
relay-hosting.secureserver.net
Port = 25

No username and no password
Makes ure webmaster email is same as the one you are trying to relay with godaddy
Yeah I sent the mail through my godaddy @mydomain.com email and it brought it down to just one error instead of two but still a direct reject for virus or spam.  I wasn't having to relay the emails last week and would prefer not to.  It also seems that the forum doesn't like the gmail smtp either settings either.

freebird

Quote from: SeaChaser on January 21, 2011, 04:26:10 PM
Hey Jim. I'm watching this thread because I just launched my first forum and used Go Daddy as well. I had the same issue with the email.

I'm trying to understand your comment "Makes ure webmaster email is same as the one you are trying to relay with godaddy"

If my Go Daddy email addy is [email protected] what do I need to change/check to make sure that happens? Is that in the System Settings/Core Configuration section?

Thanks in advance!
Godaddy allows you to set a relay to send to another address like a cc or something.  That is setup on godaddy.  The admin settings on the forum allow you to set what the webmaster email is.

jIMsHIRTZ

In SMF under server settings the first config called "core configuration" where your mysql database info is. there is a field Webmaster email address under forum title.
Make sure that is the same email address as the godaddy smtp relay email address or go daddy will block it.

Advertisement: