News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

attachments problem

Started by willemjan, February 03, 2011, 08:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

willemjan

Hi guys!

I have 1 problem with attachments. My max attachment size is set to 20.000 kb. I tried to add an attachment of 10 Mb, but it did not work... Are there other settings controlling the max attachment size? I use 2.0 RC4

Kays

Hi, there is a limit in PHP also. Usually either 2 MB or 8 MB. A phpinfo file should show you what it is. Search it for "upload". If that is the problem then you should contact your host about upping it. This can usually done by using a custom php.ini file.

What is a phpinfo() file?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

willemjan

The max file size for uploads in phpinfo() is 16M. I guess that stands for 16Mb? If that is correct, then there should be no problem for me to upload an 10Mb attachment

Arantor

What's the max post size setting too?

archiebald

Could it be a time-out issue?

I run my own dedicated server under Windows Server 2003, PHP is installed working with Fast CGI.

I have my forum set it up to allow up to 200MB files.

In my case I also had to modify both the php.ini and metabase.xml files time-out parameters to prevent files being cut off.  In my case, with my interenet connection speed I the 300 second default values meant I was getting between 10 and 15MB uploaded then cutoff would occur.

Arantor

It *could* be a timeout, but it wasn't clear what was preventing it.

In a regular timeout, the screen would likely go white, but there might have been an error message with some other error - without further information it's impossible to be sure.

archiebald

Actually, when I had time-out errors the file would appear to upload normally with no errors reported. But when you downloaded you would find the file was truncated and could not be opened, or if it is a wmv video file, it will play but cut off.

Since download speeds are normally always faster, there was no problem with the download.  But for someone on a slow internet connection, they would have also had the file truncated during download.

Arantor

Which means we're still back to needing to know what all the symptoms are before trying to diagnose the problem.

willemjan

Quote from: Arantor on February 03, 2011, 12:10:12 PM
What's the max post size setting too?

It is also set to 16M. One of my members had the problem. I have tested it myself, and first got nothing. It just kept loading and loading. On my second try I got an bad gateway error... On my third try I managed to upload an 10Mb file. I'll try again today and see what comes up.

So it took me 3 times to upload it...  :-\

Edit: Well that is odd... It just uploaded on the first try. I guess the problem went away by itself? :S

Advertisement: