Member only see's 4 of 13 public boards when logged in, all 13 when not!

Started by tdennis, February 05, 2011, 07:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdennis

On my forum www.americanlongrifles.org/forum I have 13 forums open to public as well as to members. I have one guy that can read all 13 when not logged in and after he logs in he can only see 4! However, when logged in, he can click on "view recent posts" and see all posts in all 13 forums! This happens when using his laptop, neighbors desktop and tonight I logged in as him from my desktop and got the same thing. I have no clue what the problem is nor how to fix it. Anyone have a suggestion?

I did do a "find and repair errors" and there were no database errors!

Sure would appreciate any help you can provide.
Dennis

YogiBear

When you say forums I presume you mean Boards.  ;)

This suggests a permissions problem possibly coupled with a modification.

Check your member's membergroup permissions then cross-check with the Board permissions.

What mods do you have installed? Is one of them Hide Topics? If it is, recheck those permissions too.

SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

tdennis

"When you say forums I presume you mean Boards.  ;)"
Yes sorry wrong term used

"This suggests a permissions problem possibly coupled with a modification."
I have not made a modification on anything in at least 6 weeks and this just started last Thursday I think it was.

"Check your member's membergroup permissions then cross-check with the Board permissions."
Yes he has regular member permissions like most of the other members. He is the only one with the problem that I know of.

"What mods do you have installed? Is one of them Hide Topics? If it is, recheck those permissions too."
Do not have "Hide Topics" Here is a list and all of these were months ago.
5.    InfoBan - Expire Time    1.0    [ Uninstall ]
6.    Moderator and Administrator Comment Tags    1.0    [ Uninstall ]

I just logged in as the member with the problems and can only see 4 boards of the 15 that he should see when logged in!
Dennis

tdennis

I just changed this member to another member group that has limited moderator permissions, then logged in as him. Same problem could only see 4 boards. I then changed him to a Global Moderator and then logged in as him. Same problem even with the Global Moderator permissions. Something must be corrupted in the database. I don't have a clue what to do to get him back online.
Dennis

Illori

can you verify that those member groups can actually view the boards in the admin panel when you modify the group?

kat

tdennis

Quotecan you verify that those member groups can actually view the boards in the admin panel when you modify the group?
If I understand you correctly the answer is yes. I changed him to the Global Moderator and when I logged in as him I could only see the same 4 boards that he could. My Global Moderator group has permissions to see/modify all boards.

QuoteJust curious...

Is this member in a post-count based group, too?
This member is the "regular member" group and does have his posts counted if that is your question.
Thanks
Dennis

Illori

when you look in admin and edit that group, do you see all the correct boards checked that they should be able to see?

tdennis

Quotewhen you look in admin and edit that group, do you see all the correct boards checked that they should be able to see?
Yes

Just to see what would happen I just now changed this member to the Administrator group (since I now control his loging plus I know the member) and the only thing that happened was he picked up 3 addtional boards that only the Admin group has access to. He still can not see the standard public boards! Strangely enough, when not logged in he can see all the public boards but can not post. But if he logs in most of the boards disappear! Yet if he clicks on the "view most recent" posts he can see posts made in those boards!

To me it has to be corruption in the database but where and how can I fix it without having to set him up as a new member?
Dennis

kat

The problem with having post-count-based and non-post-count-based membergroups (pant) is that the permissions of one can contradict the permissions of the others.

Hence, I don't have any (here we go again) post-count-based membergroups on my forum, at all.

They're a pain in the bum. :)

tdennis

QuoteThe problem with having post-count-based and non-post-count-based membergroups (pant) is that the permissions of one can contradict the permissions of the others.

Hence, I don't have any (here we go again) post-count-based membergroups on my forum, at all.

They're a pain in the bum. :)
I think I miss-understood what you were talking about. All my groups have counts reflecting the number of posts that a member has  made. I do not have any groups that are made up of members that have a certain number of posts. I didn't realize that some groups can be set up for a given number of posts.

Dennis

kat

I must be going senile...

To me, this:

Quote from: tdennis on February 09, 2011, 08:49:32 PMAll my groups have counts reflecting the number of posts that a member has  made.

Contradicts this:
Quote from: tdennis on February 09, 2011, 08:49:32 PMI do not have any groups that are made up of members that have a certain number of posts.

Or, am I reading it wrong?

tdennis

I am probably describing it wrong. There is a field on every members profile that tells how many posts he has made. On every post that he makes this field is shown. BUT the number of posts do not determine what group he is in. i.e. regular member, global moderator, administrator etc.

However I did look at the groups and I see that there is  "Post Count Based Groups" that I never set-up, I assume they were created by default SMF settings. Never considered them as a group as far as permissions were concerned. It appears to give members Stars based on the number of posts. I can delete them since they mean nothing to us. Should I?
Dennis

Illori

you can delete all but 1 post count based group. 1 has to exist or it will break your whole forum. if you wish you can blank out the name for the group starting with 0 posts and it will not show up anywhere.

tdennis

I just figured out what this members problem is and I was unaware of this feature and still don't know why its there. All the boards that he was not able to see are in a Category  called "General Discussion". There is a feature (that was checked it the options for this category) called:
"Collapsible
Allow users to collapse this category?"

Somehow he had evidently clicked on the ">" that collapses the listing of topic's so he could not see them. He could the "view recent posts" and read posts made in those hidden boards but we couldn't understand why he could not see them. I should have picked up on this but I didn't. Sorry for the confusion to others.

This topic is resolved.
Thanks
Dennis

Advertisement: