News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[WIP] WordPress 3.0+ / SMF 2.0 RC4+ User Integration

Started by SlammedDime, March 14, 2011, 03:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlammedDime

PHPass is only a backend for hashing and verifying hashed passwords.  It's not possible to generate a hash client side and compare it to the hash in the database like can be done with SMF.  A single password (ie: 'passw0rd') can generate literally thousands of unique hashed passwords (vs SMF where a single password and username will always generate the same hash).  The only way to verify that 'passw0rd' matches the hash in the database is to actually have the hashed password, as the hashed password itself contains the seed used to hash the password.

And by plain text, yes, I mean plain plain text.  Anyone listening on the wire or over the air on an unencrypted wifi transmission could grab and inspect the packets to get the password if the site was not using SSL.

SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

SlammedDime

If you're not on PHP 5.3, it won't work properly... I dev on 5.3 and forgot to check some things before making the package.  Once I get it fixed up I'm hoping it will work on 5.1+, but it may be 5.2+ only.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

I Agree

Offtopic-ish: I hate to keep piggy backing this thread, but I feel like I'm likely to get more attention here :-[

My much less code bridge I've derived from yours more or less is doing fine atm. But I've noticed the login seems to only last for like a day or an evening. I'd not be surprised if I'm just imagining things, since I can't really think of any reason this would be the case. My code only touches integrate_validate_login.

mibodega

Quote from: SlammedDime on April 17, 2011, 07:42:07 PM
If you're not on PHP 5.3, it won't work properly... I dev on 5.3 and forgot to check some things before making the package.  Once I get it fixed up I'm hoping it will work on 5.1+, but it may be 5.2+ only.

So If I switch to PHP 5.3 it will work? I am hosted at 1and1 so I am going to see how I can implement it. I've been needing something like this for the longest. 

SlammedDime

I don't have PHP6 installed on any of my dev machines and haven't touched it at all... it may work, but I don't think even SMF is fully compatible with PHP 6 yet.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

SlammedDime

Okay, I've updated the mod to version 1.1 on bitbucket that should work on PHP 5.2+ now.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

mibodega

Seriously? Ok I will give it a try and be back with good news ... hopefully :D

SlammedDime

If it's causing problems, you can just remove or rename Sources/WordpressBridge.php and that will essentially deactivate the bridge.

I don't know why it would be just spitting out a php page to download... any core files in your SMF directory?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Antes

SlammedDime

Antes - I'm not sure how well this will work with MU... nor if it will work well with SimpleSEF (which it looks like you're using)... I still have to test it out with both of those.

mibodega - If you removed all files and created a new database and reinstalled SMF and you're still being prompted to download files, something is up with your host.

I tested this on my host which runs PHP 5.2.9 and it worked as expected without hiccups.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

SlammedDime

New version 1.1.1 addressing a small unexpected problem in the way Wordpress can save site paths in it's admin panel.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

x0fx3

Hi, I just started setting this up on a test site and after installing your bridge I get the error:

QuoteWe found the following problems:
wp-login.php is not redirecting to SMF

How do I fix this and is it possible to only have wp login and not have a login on the forum?

SlammedDime

You can fix it by clicking the button about 2 inches below that that says 'Fix File'.

For your second question, no, the bridge will only work if people login through SMF (there is a feature that if someone clicks the 'Log in' link or goes to a page in wordpress that requires logging in, SMF will redirect them back to that page after logging in.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

mibodega

Sakacoco

Thanks a lot for this mod ! I'm glad to see someone working to bridge Wordpress and SMF.

The only thing I'd like to know is how can I make this work for subdomains ?

I have my SMF forum located in forum.thewebsite.us [nofollow]

And the blog on thewebsite.us [nofollow]

Users are added to the Wordpress database but are not logged in :/

Also, I got a nasty:
Fatal error: Call to undefined method WordpressUser::setPassword() in /var/www/discovr/forum/Sources/WordpressBridge.php on line 434
When trying to change a password...

SlammedDime

Hrm... I haven't tested using it with subdomains... can I have a link to your site (feel free to PM if needed) and a test account to check with?  Also, are you using version 1.1.1?
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

Illori

could it be effected by subdomain independent cookies being checked in the admin panel?

SlammedDime

Not likely... this implementation doesn't use any SMF cookies in Wordpress, it creates the Wordpress cookies as if you were logging into Wordpress itself.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

GamersBridge

I created an account just to thank you for this package, I really needed it for my community so my users wouldn't have to go through annoying registration hassles. I hope you will continue to develop this bridge and may it prosper. :)

KensonPlays

Will this work with 2.0 RC5 and the latest 3.1.? wordpress?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Advertisement: