News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Error 500 - wwwRedirect

Started by VanKlomp, May 08, 2011, 05:13:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

because this is a SUPPORT board, we need some way to track when the ORIGINAL poster has either solved or given up. People who chime in later can piggyback, if the issue is still being worked on, but, especially for ones marked as solved, should start a new query.

Also, I don't have a dedicated server (I use a shared server for 4 sites and admin 2 sites on other shared servers) and my host most definitely allows me to tweak php.ini
then again, my host's configuration doesn't choke on the semi-colon either...   which rather seems to demonstrate the quality of hosting.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

OK, so let's back up a minute.

1) semicolon is totally valid in URLs.
2) semicolon is used throughout SMF for several reasons, most importantly to avoid having so many issues with using & which for validation reasons must always be written as a full entity (which includes the semicolon anyway)
3) this isn't going to change in 2.1, it will change in 3.0
4) SMF has always done this, it's been doing it for 10 years
5) if the server is giving you trouble, it's an over-active mod_security rule

BartB

Well I think I figured it out here. I actually don't think it's the semi-colon that's causing trouble here. I was lead in that direction by other questions in this forum, but you're right: the semi-colon is all over the place and it's never causing trouble.

My error 500 ONLY seems to occur on the very first page someone views, where the PHPSESSID is in the URL. Since there is a semi-colon in that URL, I thought that was causing the problem.

Thanks for taking the time to dig into this one again :)

Advertisement: