Administration page is blank.

Started by bluzeman, May 09, 2011, 04:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluzeman

Hi all.  I have an unusual problem.  I've installed a few SMF forums and never had one this strange, so I hope someone here can help.

Everything seems fine, except the Administration Center.  I get a blank page.  All the sub menu items work and I can get to everything else except that.  The link says action=admin, just like it should.

I've checked file ownership and permissions, even tried setting the themes directory and all subdirectories to 777.  Still just a blank page.

Any thoughts?

ETA:  I initially installed the latest stable version 1.x(I don't remember, but the latest) and tried upgrading to 2.0 RC5 to see if that would solve the issue.  It didn't. :(

bluzeman

Any ideas on this?  Is this the right board, or should I post it in a different category?

Storman™

I've seen this before when the theme does not support the version of SMF in place.

Do you get the same if using the Default theme ?

Baby Daisy

You installed fresh files and this still happens?

That's very strange, any errors in your Forum Error Log?
あなたは私のお尻にキスするとき、私はそれを愛する

bluzeman

Thanks for the replies.  I'm using the default themes.  No errors in the error log.

I'm really stumped.  I've spent hours searching the internet and so far have found nothing.  It just seems to be that one page though.  I can get to everything else, just not the administration center.

I have seen a few errors in the httpd-errors log though, about GD, but I can't make the connection how that could cause it.

Just for giggles, I tried to use IE and instead of a blank page, I get the "Page cannot be found" error.

I have very poor vision and this verification thing is tough!

kat

This is a long shot.

So long, that it might reach the moon...

In the index.php file, in the root of your forum, do you have this line?

'admin' => array('Admin.php', 'Admin'),

Come to that, do you have the file Admin.php in your Sources directory?

If so, is it read-enabled?

bluzeman

Ha ha!  At this point I'll take all the long shots I can!  I'll go check.

bluzeman

Well, sort of. I have: 'admin' => array('Admin.php', 'AdminMain'),

And yep, it's in Sources, and have rwx permissions, and I'm the owner.

kat

bluzeman

I'm starting to think it might be a problem with php or one of the extensions, although I can't understand what would be different about the administration center, since everything else works.

I'll wait awhile and see if anyone else has any ideas, if not I can just move it to one of my other machines.  I have SMF running on a few, so I know one of them will work.  Just thought this was a really odd one!

kat

Out of pure curiosity, have you tried a different browser?

Out of PURE curiosity... ;)

ARG01

Or maybe have someone that you trust login to the admin section and see if the same issue occurs.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

kat

ARG01

Quote from: K@ on May 10, 2011, 03:13:49 PM
ARG volunteers... ;)

That's what my wife always says. I have helped more people move than I can shake a stick at.  ;D
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

bluzeman

Yep, like I said, IE gives me an error, like it can't find the page instead of a blank one. 

However, I just tried it on my laptop which is running Linux, and got this error, which my be more enlightening: "/tmp/ot4RH_pk.php.part could not be saved because the source file could not be read."

I've never heard of that file, but at least it's something to search for.

And Yay, I don't have to type the verification anymore!

kat

My wife, too, ARG...

Ha!

Empty that tmp directory, bluezy!

You never know...

Illori

i would suggest you contact your host and ask them if the server is running out of disk space or similar, this could be causing part of your problem.

bluzeman

OK, let me call the host.  He said "I dunno".

LOL!  It's my own boxes.  Plenty of disk space, so that isn't it.  I don't see that file in /tmp either.

When you go to the Administration Center, isn't the file it tries to read Admin.php under Sources?

Illori

have you tried emptying your forums cache?

bluzeman

Yep, did that yesterday.  Ran the repair tool, everything seems right.

Like I said, I have other machines running SMF so I can always move it to one of them.  This was such an odd thing though, for only that one page to have problems, that I wanted to figure it out.  I can be too stubborn some times. :)

I appreciate everyone's help, and I'm still open for ideas.  I'd just love to know what could be causing it!

Advertisement: