profile and spam questions

Started by quotaholic, June 11, 2011, 02:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quotaholic

Hello,

I run http://webdt.org. Upon signing in for support I see my email needed to be updated. I logged in to my account with my 4 digit password and attempted to update my email. After entering my "current" password in the field the save errored as indications are that my password needs to be 8 digits long. Am I stuck in a catch 22?

Second. I upgraded to SMF 2.0 RC2 a long long long time ago. The upgrade script almost got everything. IT was my decision to go to RC and I understand its not recommended for production. I was getting spammed and hacked to death on 1.1 at the time. So I upgraded.

Today I can barely keep up with all the spam. My site has been hacked a few times including once "by the turkish". Thank god for backups. So here are my questions: When is 2.0 production coming out? What is SMF using itself? I ask because I have never seen the SMF site hacked or spammed. What is a normal development cycle so I can better gauge weather or not to upgrade? I thought it was only going to be a month or so. A year and a half later we are still in RC status. What can I do to keep my site from getting taken over or spammed to death?

One more question, has anyone successfully converted a smf 2.0 RC2 forum to a phpbb forum and if so how? Thank you in advance!

quotaholic

Arantor

QuoteWhen is 2.0 production coming out?

Apparently the next few days.

QuoteWhat is SMF using itself?

By all accounts, a version somewhere between 2.0 RC5 and final.

QuoteI ask because I have never seen the SMF site hacked or spammed.

It gets spammed, but the CAPTCHA on registration and for every one of the first ten posts, tends to help. That, and a good number of modertors. As for being hacked, this site runs on its own servers, whereas most forums are run on shared hosts - which compromises their security when you want to install any mods because you have to make the files writable by the web server - which potentially means any other user can do something with them.

QuoteOne more question, has anyone successfully converted a smf 2.0 RC2 forum to a phpbb forum and if so how? Thank you in advance!

Um, why not ask that on the phpBB site?

quotaholic

Just trying to explore all options. At the rate of spam versus how long the stable release was expected to take (conidering how long it has been in works) may have warranted consideration in that direction however with only a few days left its not a concern at this point. Question withdrawn.

Thank you for your quick reply. I will search out a captca for my forum. I run one on word press that is only marginally effective. Had not considered managed hosting as a potential security risk however if a php script elevates in permissions.... yeah I can understand that.

Thanks again I will await the stable release plus a month to let the upgrade scripting get to stable as well.

quotaholic

Advertisement: