News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) mod

Started by Suki, June 20, 2011, 08:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

now you're just being unreasonable, Suki.

I like this mod a lot... I'm using it on two sites, currently.

There is a mod presented HERE on SMF.
If the support for the mod and further updates have been takden somewhere else, then it is the MOD AUTHOR'S responsibility to inform people of that fact in a clear manner.  Otherwise, people will assume (as I did) that the latest version of the mod is here on the SMF site.   If you don't tell us, how the hell are we supposed to know?

This is not like a technical question, where we can be expected to search the thread for key terms and find our problem has already been answered...  What keyword would I use to find a link to the new version in this thread?
new version?
offsite?
The only mention I find of a different version is a few posts back, where you say that you are working on one... on github (but you don't provide a link) and you don't mention that you have released a new version.

Actually...   if you no longer support this version here and require people to go elsewhere to find it, then I suggest that it should either be removed from the mod list or, at the very least, clearly stated that the version here is outdated, no longer supported and you can find the new version somewhere (link)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

QuoteIf the support for the mod and further updates have been takden somewhere else, then it is the MOD AUTHOR'S responsibility to inform people of that fact in a clear manner.

And people still won't listen whether that notice is there or not.

QuoteActually...   if you no longer support this version here and require people to go elsewhere to find it, then I suggest that it should either be removed from the mod list or, at the very least, clearly stated that the version here is outdated, no longer supported and you can find the new version somewhere (link)

Waste of time as we proved with SimpleDesk. All it ended up with here is people asking why the thread was locked. Oh, and something like 1/10 questions being about people wanting to use SimpleDesk without SMF because it wasn't clear enough that it needed SMF.

Kindred

that may be true Arantor.

However, if it is clearly stated, then I will defend the mod author when he/she says so....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Still a waste of time because most people don't care. They just want what they want, when they want it, how they want it and fewer and fewer mod authors want to be forced into that position.

Suki could update every mod page to point to its Github repo and then it'll be BUT IT'S NOT PACKAGED WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Kindred

again, though...   if she did point things to the github, She'd be in the right and I would defend her to the users' whining...  :P

In this case, however, as far as I can tell, she has never posted a link to where the new verison can be acquired (or even that there IS a new version available)

I have never said that she's WRONG to have the new version elsewhere... I just wish that she's post the link to it - in which case I can use it myself and I can point other users to that version when they complain about the permissions (like the last one did) or something else (which may have been updated or corrected)

I really like this mod.
I want to keep it up to date and continue to use it. :)
Because I use it myself, I can help to answer questions that some other users may have....
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Quoteif she did point things to the github, She'd be in the right and I would defend her to the users' whining...

It doesn't matter because the users would still whine - defended or not.

QuoteIn this case, however, as far as I can tell, she has never posted a link to where the new verison can be acquired (or even that there IS a new version available)

So? Why should she have to? It's not her responsibility to do so. The only responsibility she has, if there is one, is to write good code. People here don't even tend to be grateful that someone bothered to write something good and share it. It's always about what they want, and never respect for the fact that the author chose to make something and give it away. You did know that in the past I'd actually had people threatening me if I didn't customise a mod I made, right? Here, in fact.

QuoteI have never said that she's WRONG to have the new version elsewhere... I just wish that she's post the link to it

And this is the problem. You could be a little proactive yourself, you know... instead of asking her to update things in two places, you could set it up to keep you notified in the one place where it is updated but as you're so admirably proving, that's too much like hard work.

Kindred

Arantor...

I know nothing about Git...
I would not even know where ot start searching for her stuff on git.
Yup...  When she mentioned it, I tried... I either got several hundred results or zero results searching for her stuff on Git (and I am usually pretty good with the google-fu).

I didn't say that she has to keep things updated in two places...  I said that - if she posted a link to the git site (not even the download, just the git site) then I (or anyone else on the team) could direct users there rather than annoying Suki further. :P

Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

QuoteI know nothing about Git...

Evidently since Git is just a methodology and software to run it. Github is a specific implementation of that.

But let me save you the < 30 seconds trouble. https://github.com/MissAllSunday/faq

QuoteI didn't say that she has to keep things updated in two places...  I said that - if she posted a link to the git site (not even the download, just the git site) then I (or anyone else on the team) could direct users there rather than annoying Suki further.

Which is updating things in two places. Because people will still ask for information here, will still post their demands here, will still post their bugs here... so it splits everything in two.

Kindred

but, once again... if they are not informed that the support and updates have been taken off site, how are they supposed to know? (because SOME users will read and care)

Thanks for the link. I was forgetting that she used to go by the name MissAllSunday (and THAT is something that a new user would not even have a clue about)
(and yes... I already said that I know nothing about git or github - and the fact that I even know about them puts me ahead of most of the normal users)

Again, you seem to be missing the point that I was trying to make.
She doesn't have to support it here (or anywhere)
However, if she IS going to support it and/or update it and then expects a user to even begin to try to post in the correct place or find the updates then she could at least tell the users where to go for that. :)
If there is no notice, then users will (quite correctly) assume that this is the latest version and that someone here can help support the mod
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Quotebut, once again... if they are not informed that the support and updates have been taken off site, how are they supposed to know? (because SOME users will read and care)

Because it's been stated more than once and it even used to be in her signature. Point is, no-one wants to do any work towards it. Everyone just complains that she's not doing it. (Hint: this is directly parallel to other circumstances. Funny old world.)

QuoteAgain, you seem to be missing the point that I was trying to make.
She doesn't have to support it here (or anywhere)

Really? You could have fooled me by saying things she had to do. More importantly, the users don't care about what she wants. They just want it updated etc.

Quotethen users will (quite correctly) assume that this is the latest version and that someone here can help support the mod

How is that a correct assumption? As we've just seen it's not.

Kindred

I siad that she doesn't HAVE to support it.
However, if she plans to support it, she should at least give the users the information they need to find the support.

Let me rephrase then.
The users used correct logic to assume that support for this mod should be requested here. (since there is no other site mentioned, and it is not mentioned that Suki is no longer supporting this mod)
The fact that this was an incorrect assumption does not mean that the users were wrong to assume it... it means that no one had provided them with any information suggesting otherwise.

It was stated more than once? In this thread?
Again, I searched the thread for any mention of it and only found her last statement that she was working on a new version on github. No mention of an actual new version. no link pointing people there.

I know that users are lazy and that they don't bother to read or search.... However, I did...  and I was unable to find the information. Since I know how to search (normally) and I do read and search, that means that a normal user won't be able to... even if they bothered to try.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Quote(since there is no other site mentioned, and it is not mentioned that Suki is no longer supporting this mod)

You do know that this applies to all her mods not just this one...

I would continue arguing but you and I won't see eye to eye on this.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Suki

Because I dislike complainers and I wanted to re-write this, the mod has been updated. For updating, uninstall any old version and install the new one.

No support and no spoon-feed either. Knock yourselves out.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

mariusfv

Parse, but at install:

Unknown column 'category_last_user' in 'field list'
File: /var/www/username/data/www/forum/Packages/temp/database.php
Line: 190

Suki

Just delete that column from the faq_categories table as this new version does not need that anymore.

The mod does check for older versions and/create update the rows as needed, I didn't think that table was going to cause any issues since the new code does not use it anywhere and I didn't have this issue when testing the mod with old data from old versions.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

mariusfv

Quote from: Suki on April 22, 2013, 10:18:21 AM
Just delete that column from the faq_categories table as this new version does not need that anymore.

The mod does check for older versions and/create update the rows as needed, I didn't think that table was going to cause any issues since the new code does not use it anywhere and I didn't have this issue when testing the mod with old data from old versions.

I've delete what you say, it install without a problem, you can setting the mod without a problem, but when I try to access the FAQ from menu:

Unknown column 'c.category_log' in 'field list'
File: /var/www/username/www/website/forum/Sources/Subs-Faq.php
Line: 279

Can you please update the mod ?
10x!

BTW: I have SMF 2.0.4

P.S

This mod should be in default core, as wiki mod too(SMF team use wiki and FAQ as modifications but keep this features only for them - hard to understand !).

Kindred

actually, the SMF team uses media wiki for our manual and we have released the bridge to link smf <-> mediawiki for anyone to use.
Слaва
Украинi

Suki

Quote from: mariusfv on April 23, 2013, 04:51:49 AM
Quote from: Suki on April 22, 2013, 10:18:21 AM

I've delete what you say, it install without a problem, you can setting the mod without a problem, but when I try to access the FAQ from menu:

Unknown column 'c.category_log' in 'field list'
File: /var/www/username/www/website/forum/Sources/Subs-Faq.php
Line: 279

Can you please update the mod ?
10x!

BTW: I have SMF 2.0.4

P.S

This mod should be in default core, as wiki mod too(SMF team use wiki and FAQ as modifications but keep this features only for them - hard to understand !).

Are you using the modsite version of this mod? the table you are referring to was deleted from the final version (and this is why I hate to maintain things in several places...). Anyway, attach your Subs-Faq.php file.

Quote from: Tasha Thompson on April 23, 2013, 06:04:39 AM
Quote from: Jessica. on June 21, 2011, 02:14:28 PM
I went to my Looks and Layout and unchecked 'Turn on WYSIWYG editor on post page by default' and I was able to create FAQs

Ya its easy but i found hazard  across access WYSIWYG .MY FAQS is that why it occur when i open it its turn off?

huh? ???

Kike_GL

I'm using this wonderful MOD from more than a year, really very useful.

Just install it on my test server and skip this error

Unknown column 'category_last_user' in 'field list'
File: D:\xampp\htdocs\Perut\Packages\temp\database.php
Line: 190

The error actually is on the line 184 that was defined as the field name: "id_category" when it should be category_id.

Sorry, we must also remove the "category_last_user" field and its value.

Saludos, Kike_GL

Advertisement: