News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Want to Start fresh with Gold, Upgrade from RC3, Need Help

Started by Reeceist, June 22, 2011, 11:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reeceist

Hello,

I would like to install Gold, but im not sure how to go about it. I currently run 2.0RC3 and have made some edits to the code and templates that wouldn't be reversed via package manager. What I want to do is strart fresh with gold, but I want to save my members, posts and pretty urls. Is this possible? If so, how can this be achieved.
Is just upgrading a better idea?

Thanks
-Reece

Illori

take a look at Upgrading SMF, before upgrading remove your mods even if they fail to uninstall cleanly. this will make it easier to reinstall them after the upgrade. dont forget to backup backup and backup some more.

Reeceist

What if a mod removes a line of code in a file that is not included in the update?
I feel like it would be safer for me to import my posts and members into a fresh install of 2.0 gold.
Am i crazy?

Illori

it would be harder to try to import posts and members into a new install then it would be to do the upgrade with everything in place. if the mod removes code that is not in the new version, then the mod should be updated to the changes in the new version.

also by uploading all files from the large upgrade package you will have a fresh set of files to deal with which is the same as a clean install.

Reeceist

What if uninstalling a mod makes in impossible to return the mod uninstall page and some mods are still installed?

Illori

you are only uninstalling them right before the upgrade to make it easier to reinstall them after the upgrade is complete. even if it breaks something when it is uninstalled all files are overwritten during the upgrade process.

Reeceist

I understand that, but as i am uninstalling them before the upgrade, what if one of them breaks a line of code that will no longer allow me to continue uninstalling the rest.

Illori

just go ahead and uninstall them if they pass the check or not.

Reeceist

Okay I did as told and I'm getting a load error and cannot finish uninstalling the other mods. What should i do now..

Illori

work on doing the upgrade and you will need to truncate one table once you are done. if you wish to install the same mods again.

truncate `smf_log_packages` run in sql tab of phpmyadmin given your prefix is smf_

Illori

yes it is a mysql command to clear out the content of that table, which tells smf that you have packages installed which you will not have installed once you have done the upgrade.

Advertisement: