News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Enhance the Calendar & Event Capabilities

Started by Bixby, June 23, 2011, 06:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixby

Hello:

Just upgraded to 2.0 from 1.1.14 and I am glad I made the journey. SMF just gets better with age. :)

I run two different forums and both of them have a reliance on calender functionality. The discussion forums are used by the members to post and host events. It is a very powerful combination to have an event calendar with events having their own discussion thread.

My proposed addition to SMF functionality:

(1) incorporate event registration functionality. I belong to a vBulletin site that has a register function and members can register for events in the discussion thread along with number of guests they will bring. The first post of the thread gets automatically updated with the registration list. It is also handy, because the event planner can indicate how many spots are open and the registration process takes care of putting people on a waiting list once the registration is full. This is very valuable for planning poker games, and other events with limited seating. It sure would be a valuable addition for our events.

(2) Add options for posting events in the calendar to give some options for repeating events such as this event happens on the 3rd Thursday of every month. If there was an option for this to create a distinct thread for each of the occurrences this would be even better.

I know that perhaps I am using discussion forums somewhat differently than most, but I firmly believe with additional calendar functionality, there would be a broader appeal to use SMF (and discussion forums in general) for a broader application of uses.

Thanks for your consideration.
Bix
Life is Short; Play Games!

burro

My SMF calendar wish list:
(1) iCal (".ics") compatible, so that users can subscribe to any calendar in an ".ics" formatted calendar feed.
(2) Allow admin to specify having
(a) Just one forum-wide calendar
(b) one calendar per category
(c) one calendar per board
(3) A user-customized master calendar, in which a user can specify which calendars to view, and to which a user can subscribe to the single master calendar in order to subscribe to the desired subset of all calendars within that SMF installation.

My deepest thanks to all the good work on SMF!!

Kindred

burro...   do not cross post identical messages to different threads.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

c23_Mike

Hi there!

The possibility to make "personal" entrys would be fine! So I see events of the community, and can also put in my birthdays and so on!
So long, Mike

http://www.c23.at
c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

IvaliceAlliance

I also need enhanced calendar capabilities. I didn't really need it until the other day, but I was trying to setup a recurring event and there was no way to do it.

What I specifically would like is:

• The option to setup a recurring event
    example: Every Saturday, for 3 weeks;
    example: Every Friday (3 day event, to go through until Sunday) for 2 months.
  • The option to link one post to more than one event.
    example: Setup an event for Wednesday, and Friday; have both events link to the same post.

c23_Mike

Hi there!

The last option /more events to the same post) is already no problem!
So long, Mike

c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

Bixby

Quote from: c23_Mike on June 29, 2011, 12:57:17 AM
Hi there!

I actually want discrete posts. That way registration and responses do not get confused. :)
Life is Short; Play Games!

IvaliceAlliance

Quote from: c23_Mike on June 29, 2011, 12:57:17 AM
Hi there!

How do you to this?

c23_Mike

Hi there!

I create an calendar entry. This is a normal post with a link to the calendar. Now you can open this post and at the bottom you have several options like "Move topic" and so on ... and at last there is the option "Link to the calendar". This you can use several times!
So long, Mike

c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

bros

ruedigers

Hi all,

using:
SMF 2.0 | SMF © 2011
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal

I would love the ability to have employees vacations in the calendar.  I can do that as an event, but that shows in the upcoming events and thus is sort of "noisy".

Would be really nice if people could enter their vacation, pick a color, and their would be some sort of indication that they are or vacation.  That could be clickable or have a Mouse-over or something.

Illustration attached.
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010
Aeva Media 1.4w
Adk Blog 2.0

ruedigers

Hi all,

after thinking about it for a bit, all that would be required is (minimal)

• a per-user special events list
  • a per-group special events list
An entry in this list would be composed of

• a date  (with or without year)
  • duration
  • description (text)
  • and the visibility (world, groups, private)

So, when a calendar is displayed,  the

• forum special events (holidays etc,)
  • group special events
  • personal special events
would need to be displayed.

When a user defines a special event with "world" visibility, it should go into the forum calendar, not into his own, and the same for groups, respectively.

Is anyone working on an enhanced calendar implementation or is it worth looking into it myself?   ???

Cheers!  8)
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010
Aeva Media 1.4w
Adk Blog 2.0

Advertisement: