News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

500 Errors after installing MOD's

Started by 420Connect.co.uk, October 04, 2014, 04:53:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

420Connect.co.uk

Hi everyone,
(Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong sect.)

I know they don't have a great reputation, but aside from a few minor from issues they haven't actually been too bad for me.. anyway my hosting is with Crazy Domains (should this change anything)

Recently I've found, when installing some MOD's - I am requested for FTP access to edit some files..
once I click, Install - I am forwarded to a 500 Error and it temporarily breaks my forum.

My solution so far has been emailing Crazy Domains who do something on their end and it begins working again.. but my question is what is causing these errors and what are CD doing to fix the problem?

I'd happily correct the settings or whatever I need to do myself but I'm not sure what they are doing and don't seem to tell me..

It is maybe to do with file permissions but as far as I can see, I have my folders at 755 and files 644 although I have heard there is more superior permissions which control these ones, that I can't have access to as I'm on shared hosting. (CHOWN / CHMOD)

Hopefully, someone has experienced this too and knows an easy work around! :)

As always, any help is appreciated!
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

420Connect.co.uk

This is a repost as I'm not sure I posted it in the right section at first..

Hi everyone,
(Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong sect.)

I know they don't have a great reputation, but aside from a few minor from issues they haven't actually been too bad for me.. anyway my hosting is with Crazy Domains (should this change anything)

Recently I've found, when installing some MOD's - I am requested for FTP access to edit some files..
once I click, Install - I am forwarded to a 500 Error and it temporarily breaks my forum.

My solution so far has been emailing Crazy Domains who do something on their end and it begins working again.. but my question is what is causing these errors and what are CD doing to fix the problem?

I'd happily correct the settings or whatever I need to do myself but I'm not sure what they are doing and don't seem to tell me..

It is maybe to do with file permissions but as far as I can see, I have my folders at 755 and files 644 although I have heard there is more superior permissions which control these ones, that I can't have access to as I'm on shared hosting. (CHOWN / CHMOD)

Hopefully, someone has experienced this too and knows an easy work around! :)

As always, any help is appreciated!
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

420Connect.co.uk

After reading lots of similar posts to mine, I believe it is most likely caused by the package manager attempting to write files with CHMOD 777/666, and my host only allows 775/644..

Is there a way to configure my forum to use 775 / 644 in the future to prevent this happening again?

and / or - What should I ask my host to do for me to prevent this happening again?

LiroyvH

If they run suPHP, then changing the chmod of .php files you access through the web (like index.php) to 777: it will present a 500 error.

You should really review the server generated logs if you want to know *why* it generates a 500 error.
Just "it throws a 500 error" isn't really sufficient information to give proper insight, it could be caused by a number of things.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

420Connect.co.uk

Hi CoreISP,

Thanks for the reply.

To be honest, I've not heard of suPHP before, so I'm not sure if they use it/run it etc. (still very new to paid hosting / php etc.)
and I've had a look through all error logs I can access at the moment and none of them really give any clues.

my error_log file in my root folder only has 1 issue, and that was to do with another MOD I've since removed and my host's error logs only detail that a 500.shtml page doesn't exist.. :(

For now, I've convinced myself there are still some permissions, set to 777 by the package manager that I can't see (as I'm on shared hosting?) and I will have to wait until my host resets them.. - hopefully.

Like I mentioned above, I'm very new to all of this so I'm not sure it's even possible, but..
if I could edit the coding of SMF's package manager internals so that it knows to add new folders as 755 and files as 644, instead of 777 / 666

... This seems like a viable solution but maybe not?

Arantor

The package manager largely needs a rewrite to actually get this stuff correct in that fashion.

420Connect.co.uk

So it's not going to be as simple as search and replace 777 to 755 etc. :P

(anyone reading feel free to if you have the knowledge!  O:))

Ninja ZX-10RR

Just manually change the permissions for that folder? :) Access it via cPanel, or either FTP (FIlezilla can change chmod permissions IIRC)

P.s.: I know that the second post was an update and there is nothing wrong with it but be careful, if you post again after the opening post you are delaying a response because the team members usually answer topics that have 0 replies at first ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

420Connect.co.uk

Thanks for the update tip! :)

& Unfortunately, I've tried manually changing them but I still have the 500 Error :(

Ninja ZX-10RR

Have a word with your host then, it must be something on their side because they can change chmod as well as you can, but if the result is different they must have changed something else too ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Oldiesmann

Check the server error log as well as there should be more information there as to what error is occurring.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: