News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Stop users from registering if IP is already in use

Started by Tom, January 06, 2004, 08:38:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

What I would like is something that checks is another user has registered with that IP, an not allow you to continue if someone has. This is because my board has a TON of duplicate accounts. (Even some poeple with 6 or 7) I really have no idea why though, or who they are. I've got pleany of enemies so it's probably just some of them...

Or, rather than cheacking it at registration it could be an option to view/delete duplicate accounts in the admin pannel.

If you think that this would be a bit much for a standard feature, it would still be great as a mod.

Ben_S

You do realise that the vast vast majority of ISP's assign dynamic IP's which would mess something like this up.

Even worse a lot of ISP's transparently cache all port 80 traffic (though this seems to  be on the decline so [thank god]) so this would be a feature that would cause people lots of problems.

As such, it should be a (pointles IMHO) mod.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Tom

I am aware that some do, but was not aware that the vast majority do. I guess it would be pretty pointless then. :-[

David

This space for rent.

dschwab9

Quote from: Tom on January 06, 2004, 08:45:17 PM
I am aware that some do, but was not aware that the vast majority do. I guess it would be pretty pointless then. :-[

More than the vast majority  :D  On residential accounts, nearly all ISPs do dynamic IPs.

Tyris

56kers and most ADSL broadbanders I think... as well as many other broadbanders have dynamic IP's...

Advertisement: