News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Restoring a given account number

Started by wynnyelle, September 28, 2011, 06:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

Account #1 was lost a long time ago when that account was deleted. There are mods though that require that account {#1} be possible to use and I was wondering if it's possible to restore its {or for that matter any other deleted account's} number with a new account by that number.

Illori

i would not recommend forcing a user to have a specific id number by inserting it into the database or trying to change the number. this can cause issues. what mod(s) do you want to install that require a specific user id?

wynnyelle

I remember it was a mod that protected the "head admin" account from deletion/banning--more of security than anything.

So, basically once an account is deleted its number can never be re-used?

live627

Was it Super Admin?

You can change your ID in the database, but not from SMF.

wynnyelle

I think so. I just want to safeguard myself, basically, against hackings etc. If it can't be done it can't be done, but I ask just to find out.

I'd change it through phpmyadmin, I would assume? That raises the question of whether I'd be risking screwing up anything else on the site.

live627

Yes phpMyAdmin. I assume you want your account moved to #1. Looks like it's at 299.

UPDATE smf_members SET id_member = 1 WHERE id_member = 299

Illori

does that take into account the posts and pms the user has received?

wynnyelle

Right--I'd rather test it out on a test account before trying anything on mine. If I at least get that number "live" again I can go from there and merge accounts and stuff. How would one do this through phpmyadmin? And again does it run the risk of "screwing up" the site in any other way?

Illori

it might be easier to try to modify the mod you want to use then to change the numbering of the users so it can work as it is. try asking in the mods support thread if it is possible.

live627

Quote from: Illori on September 29, 2011, 05:57:33 AM
does that take into account the posts and pms the user has received?
No, and it certainly would be better to forget that method because of everything attached and the hidden dangers - attachments, multiple logs, messages, topics, PM recipients, personal messages, and more that I don't remember off the top of my head.

Advertisement: