News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

About attachment paths, themes paths, etc.

Started by jan0s1k, October 05, 2011, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan0s1k

Hello,

My suggestion is simple, to have EVERY path of files just in configure files (in this case Settings.php). I was surprised, that it's held on MySQL after moving my forum, of course I can always do some "fixes" to be able to get access from both sides by creating some more directories until DNS'es of site refreshes, but it could be nice, if I don't have to modify it from MySQL/admin panel with broken graphics.
If somebody already suggested it, I'm so sorry for this post  ;)

Illori

have you seen What is repair_settings.php? which should take care of almost all those paths for you without actually needing to access the database.

Kindred

and, on top of that... NO!    setting any variables in a file instead of the database (with the exception of the data needed to get to the database in the first place) is poor process. Settings should be stored in the database and read out as needed.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

jan0s1k

Ok, thank You Illori, this script do everything what I need.

To Kindred: I can't really understand why "setting any variables in a file is poor process". It's same way, just reading from another place. What if your database some how slow down? You will probably have to wait first for reading database, then you will see forum.. Or is it in another way?

青山 素子

Quote from: jan0s1k on October 05, 2011, 02:11:50 PM
To Kindred: I can't really understand why "setting any variables in a file is poor process". It's same way, just reading from another place. What if your database some how slow down? You will probably have to wait first for reading database, then you will see forum.. Or is it in another way?

Because you're polluting the global space and taking up memory for something that may not be needed.

If the database is slow, you'll still have speed problems no matter where certain settings are stored.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: