News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

problems after installing themes

Started by snadge, November 24, 2011, 04:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snadge

I just fresh installed SMF 2.0.1 (no plugins) with a new database and straight out the box I notice that I have to save the WIDTH of Core theme twice before it takes effect and stays saved...

why is this?

then I installed the SUNBLOX theme that appeared on its 'latest themes' list and since doing that I have to save the width FOUR TIMES before it stays saved, i deleted the theme (had to click X four times to delete it) and still after the theme is gone the 'four times' issue remains.

before I deleted the theme I noticed (like some others I had on my old install last night) the theme displays incorrectly in the adminCP displaying the middle windows contents below the left sections contents

EDIT: i have deleted everything on my host, including DB's - re-uploaded SMF, installed with new databases (apache) and straight out the box I have to save forum width 3 times before it sticks?

Chas Large

I'll say just one word CACHING.

Both your forum and your browser have a cache of previously downloaded files to make browsing quicker so you don't have to download everything each time.

Make the change and then press CTRL and F5 together to FORCE a reload of the page from the site and it should change straight away to the new width. If that doesn't work, make the change, clear the forum cache - Admin > Maintenance and then reload.

Any changes made to forum graphics or CSS will suffer from the same problem.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

snadge

yeah I know about that, it was the first thing i tried, i also cleared browser cache and tried in other browsers with same result

snadge

..actually trying CTRL+F5 this time it has worked...so far, this is frsh install on default theme, i will install other theme and report back

Chas Large

It might be your hosts cache facility is not up to spec, if problems persist, try disabling the forum cache.

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

snadge

iam having refresh problems, after making posts they do not appear unless i refresh the page?
is this an option that can be set to enable auto-refresh after making posts etc?
- ive noticed this is the return to topic feature disabled (stupid i think)

even deleting a topic...it was still there until i refreshed the page

Chas Large

This is unusual, I've never seen this problem except with network / browser / cache issues. Can you supply a link so we can see the issue, PM me with details if you don't want to post it here.

snadge

thanks for your support chas

i now know it too be VARNISH on apache server on my host... its a pain in the ass, had i known I wouldnt have signed up, wished i went for lightspeed host now..

ziycon

Marking this as solved as OP got to root of issue.

Advertisement: