News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

is it safe to delete mods?

Started by wynnyelle, January 08, 2012, 03:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wynnyelle

I am trying to uninstall and remove any mods that we do not use a lot. Would it be safe to delete them once they are uninstalled?

Suki

Well if you are worried about space then yes, otherwise it won't do anything if they are indeed properly uninstalled.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

wynnyelle

Yes space is an issue. I am just worried that deleting them would make something else malfunction. If they are uninstalled are they interfering with code in any way?

Matthew K.

Short answer: No.

As long as the modification uninstalled successfully, deleting it, will not harm anything.

wynnyelle

I am trying to delete them via the admin panel, but it wont do it. It says i need some kind of FTP clearance. Should I just go to the cpanel and do it there?

Matthew K.

You should be able to verify your FTP details in the form, and then delete them directly via Package Manager.

wynnyelle

I don't use FTP so have no FTP details :P

Matthew K.

FTP = File Transfer Protocol, you most definitely do use it. FileZilla is an FTP client. If you don't know the details, it's most likely your cPanel login. (IN this case, it is).

kat

Package Manager, GS. You'll have your FTP details, there. Can't remember exactly where and my site's down, so I can't check. :(

Suki

If you use Cpanel then you can also delete mods with it's own file manager.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

kat

Not only that!

You can delete the backups that Package Manager took, too!

They're in a directory named, oddly enough, "backups", which is inside "Packages".

:)

wynnyelle

Thanks guys. I just want to clear out all my unused mods which is at least half of them.

At least one I don't want to use, won't UNinstall. Like I'm stuck with it on... :P

Afraid to do more yet lest I break the site's code.

live627

Quote from: Groovystar on January 08, 2012, 04:17:59 PM
I don't use FTP so have no FTP details :P
Sent PM based on Lab's theory - might not work, though.

Arantor

If space is a problem, deleting the mod itself isn't worth the effort, because if you're worrying about the space of a few hundred K, you have bigger problems.

However, take a look in Packages/backups. You might find deleting a few files in there more to your advantage, particularly if you've had a lot of mods, since it takes a backup of all the files in the forum. Even a new install can generate 1.5MB of backup per mod install easily. I remember once saving over a GB of disk space from a test forum by pruning that.

Mivso

Maybe you could delete old posts that contain attachments - especially if they are large attachments.  :)
SMF & Other opensource solutions developer.

Illori

it would be better to delete the attachments and leave the posts in place. i believe there is a tool in the admin panel to do this.

Matthew K.

Quote from: Illori on January 08, 2012, 06:26:17 PM
it would be better to delete the attachments and leave the posts in place. i believe there is a tool in the admin panel to do this.
That's correct.

Arantor

Or you could look in the backups folder and purge older ones that you don't need, say, everything up to the last couple. For every mod you install, you're losing 1.5MB+ of your space. You sound like you've installed a lot of mods, and I guarantee you will save more space by removing most of those than anything else.

Matthew K.

Personally, I agree with trying arrowtotheknee's suggested method first, it's most definitely something that will save space, and is not necessary to keep, while it's nice to save attachments if possible.

wynnyelle

Yeah--I need to delete 16 mods off my site. Most are uninstalled and just need deletion, a couple of them need to be uninstalled but it won't let me, it tells me there are fatal errors. If you need me to or it would help, i can investigate these mods by looking up their code and comparing it with where it is on my site and maybe we can troubleshoot them by hand.

Advertisement: