News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Letters č, ć, š, đ, etc. UTF-8 Problem

Started by InternetSvet, February 27, 2012, 10:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

InternetSvet

I have a problem on my SMF forum ... Each letter of the Serbian Latin alphabet resembles something like this: Svet Informatike i Računarstva.

č instead of č.

It happened when I went to the admin panel 'Forum maintenance', and so I am Run those tasks. I have a task to convert all the bases in the UTF-8, and I do that. When I finished with that, it's all gone to hell... :)

Could this somehow be solved?

Example of my messages:

Saznajte IP pošiljaoca mejla na Gmail-u Brajan (Tutorijali)
    juče u 12:45:55 posle podne
Zaštita računara i zaštita podataka (backup) Brajan (Tutorijali)
    juče u 12:08:00 posle podne
Odg: Ukidanje FaceBook-a u martu!!!! Brajan (Novosti i Vesti)
    juče u 11:53:37 pre podne
Kulturno nasleÄ'e na internetu Đagi (Novosti i Vesti)
    juče u 11:51:46 pre podne
Kako instalirati Windows 7 sa USB-a djalexa (Windows 7)
    juče u 05:24:33 pre podne
Kako napraviti Bootabilni CD/DVD djalexa (Tutorijali)

MrPhil

Double check what page encoding is being used on the admin pages (that are failing). It looks like possibly the text is in UTF-8, but is being displayed in Latin-1 or some other single-byte encoding.

The other possibility is that you messed up the conversion to UTF-8, and what's now in your database is some odd mixture of encodings. That's going to be a problem to straighten out -- do you have backups you can go back to? Use phpMyAdmin to look at the database entries themselves -- do they look correct? (and check what page encoding is being used by phpMyAdmin -- it should be UTF-8) Does your database show the expected encoding (UTF-8) and "collating" setting for all text fields, or are they wrong?

Advertisement: