Infraction System

Started by Novus Anima, April 28, 2012, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Novus Anima

I'm fully aware that this has been suggested previously, but what I have read had nothing constructive and didn't even contrast the differences between the two systems nor was the original poster clear about why they appreciated the infraction system, they just said they would like for it to be added period. So, I am going to give you my pro/con breakdown of why I feel the infraction system should either be available from the get-go or at least an alternate option (user has a say in whether he/she would like an infraction system or a warning system).

Let's start off with the current system, shall we? The current warning system is conducive, it's efficient, and gets the message across to the user that is breaching the forum's rules of conduct. There are various levels of offence and different % warnings that are applied to the user's account, and even provides a warning log so you may view the user's past offences to determine if there should be a more severe warning level. Then there's even a 'ban user on x warning %' feature that is perfect for dealing out punishment efficiently and accurately, without fail. The warning system is a very well structured system and it is encouraged that many use it. However, I remain true to the infraction system. Below I explain why I appreciate the infraction system.

As mentioned above, the warning system is a rather conducive feature. However, I favor the infraction system over the warning system. Yeah, both are the same exact thing, but I like to use definitions of words to contrast these systems. An infraction is a black mark, if you will, on your account/record and points are added based on severity. For example, my car accident was a 2 point infraction on my driving record; if the car was totaled it would have been a 4 point infraction, I believe. Now, a warning is a reminder of the rules and is meant to set you straight before you receive an infraction on your record and/or profile. Police officers have the option to give a ticket (essentially a warning) if they feel like they just need a mere reminder, but if they feel like they have committed a serious enough act and/or crime, an arrest (an infraction, essentially, with punishment attached (kind of like a ban if you think about it) to this infraction) is issued. The warning system doesn't display this kind of punishment. Yeah, there are percentages, but it is still labeled as a warning, which I do not like. First time fine, I get it, that's a warning. The 5th time and it's still being labeled as a warning? Doesn't seem like a warning the 5th time around. The 5th time around it's basically an increased punishment and points being added to your record; not a warning anymore.

Kindred

So change the text in your forum's language/text files....  Use a different work, if that's what you prefer.....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Novus Anima

Quote from: Kindred on April 28, 2012, 05:25:31 PM
So change the text in your forum's language/text files....  Use a different work, if that's what you prefer.....

Never actually thought of that, since I never really edit the language/text files in fear that I might break something. I definitely know that the last time I edited the language/text files on a different forum engine, the ACP broke. So, I am rather hesitant to be editing such files. Can you say with certainty that nothing will break if I edit the text portions of the files? Because that's all I did with the other forum engine; it still broke.

Kindred

Lol....

As long as you only edit the text between the ' (single quotes) on each line, you will be just fine.

If the strings include variables, you can check with someone, but, for the most part, the SMF text strains are just text strings.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Novus Anima

Quote from: Kindred on April 28, 2012, 05:41:59 PM
Lol....

As long as you only edit the text between the ' (single quotes) on each line, you will be just fine.

If the strings include variables, you can check with someone, but, for the most part, the SMF text strains are just text strings.

Any idea where I might find the file for warnings and what the file(s) would be called? I've looked in the default theme directory, then in the languages; can't find anything pertaining to warnings.

emanuele

From your description I understand that a warning doesn't imply a "punishment", but an infraction usually imply a punishment.
So going with your analogy I would consider the current warning system exactly a warning, if the user persists in his behaviour than you apply an infraction and a punishment (i.e. the ban and the relative reason that is displayed to the user).

Am I getting this wrong? (please consider English is not my first language ;))

ETA: ModerationCenter.english.php

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Novus Anima

Quote from: emanuele on April 28, 2012, 06:15:22 PM
From your description I understand that a warning doesn't imply a "punishment", but an infraction usually imply a punishment.
So going with your analogy I would consider the current warning system exactly a warning, if the user persists in his behaviour than you apply an infraction and a punishment (i.e. the ban and the relative reason that is displayed to the user).

Am I getting this wrong? (please consider English is not my first language ;))

ETA: ModerationCenter.english.php

Yes, I feel as though a warning should be issued as a reminder of the rules. Then when it is deemed necessary, the user be punished with an infraction (accompanied by a banishment of sorts; i.e. mutes, forum revokes, bans, etc). So yeah, you have it dead-on.

P.S. You speak English well for a secondary language. (:
P.S.S. Thanks, was looking all over for that file haha.

Advertisement: