News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Error Log categories activation

Started by TourFL, January 07, 2013, 07:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TourFL

Hello everybody!

Would it be possible to select errors or categories of errors we don't want to log?

For example, I don't care when a member mistype his password, when a user tried to upload a picture too big, or when banned robots try to log every 5 seconds and gets a "you're banned" message. What I want to see in error logs ... is actual errors needing to be corrected!

My error log is "polluted" by those which are not errors and need constant cleaning. I wanted to install the mod to display the number of errors on top of the forum, but I realised it's not relevant, because of all those.

Not sure if it is a SMF feature request or mod request, but I hope something can be done  :D

Thanks!
If you like Fiat 500 and derived models, the SMF forum I'm helping with: www.500-126.com

emanuele

I remember another request similar to that.

It is/was in my plans to do a mod for 2.1 (since all the logging activity should pass through a single function).

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Ban entries hitting the log can be turned off. Password errors is a bit different... if you get a large rash of hits for a single user, it might be someone trying to break into an account.

The other errors are generally indicative of things you should fix anyway. I don't really see this changing much in 2.1 though.

TourFL

I agree with this. But in that case, logging only after 3 failed trials would be more relevant.

I get about 20 entries of mistyped passwords per day, and I my forum is not that big ...
For ban, it's already logged in the ban log. For picture too bigs, I cannot do anything.
If you like Fiat 500 and derived models, the SMF forum I'm helping with: www.500-126.com

Arantor

The problem with logging only for the first three, is that you have to go figure it out, which is not an easy thing to do.

As I said, in 2.1 you can turn off the ban items hitting the error log.

As for picture too big, there's no good way around that one.

Advertisement: