News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

End of life of SMF 1.0

Started by Norv, April 02, 2012, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel15

What about a title of "End of life for SMF 1.0 (not SMF 1.1)"?
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Fustrate

Let's just leave it as it is and correct anyone who worries out loud.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Antechinus

ZOMG! It's the end of SMF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

live627

MrPhil

Quote from: Daniel15 on April 14, 2012, 09:09:11 PM
What about a title of "End of life for SMF 1.0 (not SMF 1.1)"?

I'm - not - dead - yet!

TheMortician4

Once all the mods I am running are supported under 2.0, I will migrate to that version, toooooo many mods and investment into where we are which started with 1.1.9 up to 1.1.16.

GO SMF....!!!!

青山 素子

TheMortician4, SMF 1.1 will still be supported for a bit, so you don't need to worry too much
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kevin Paquet

Hi there,

It's been a long time since I used SMF - I have since ventured into blogging as Social Networks such as Facebook, Twitter et al have killed my target audience (young adults) interests in forums.

Really great to know that SMF still has a huge user base and gets frequent updates. SMF was the first PHP software I've got in touch with - my first tool in creating something online. Makes me reminisce those good ol' days!

Keep it up!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Strangely, it seems to me that in the grand picture of things, facebook and twitter are not actually competition for forums much. Forums still have their own place and a dedicated userbase, who may still take advantage of other social media on the side though.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kevin Paquet

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on June 01, 2012, 12:03:36 AM
Strangely, it seems to me that in the grand picture of things, facebook and twitter are not actually competition for forums much. Forums still have their own place and a dedicated userbase, who may still take advantage of other social media on the side though.

I guess it depends on the theme and the target audience of ones' forum. Mine was supposed to have teenagers get connected and all, but Facebook and Twitter ultimately killed the show for me. (Philippines is one of the most-Facebook and Twitter addicted countries)

MrPhil

I'm sure most kids view the concept of a "forum" or "blog" as a quaint anachronism, something like a typewriter or a telegraph. As (if?) they mature, whether they come to see forums and blogs as useful, or stick with FB/TW and their descendants, remains to be seen.

Is there a clear distinction between a forum and a blog? With most blogs apparently accepting submissions from others, rather than being written by one person, what's the difference? Has "blog" expanded to include the concept of "Forum" (now there's an ancient term, referring to something from the Roman Empire!).

Arantor

Well, generally, a blog is a roughly equivalent to a single forum board, with additional meta information captured per topic than a forum would normally.

But essentially, a blog can easily be attached to a forum, but it is much harder to go the other way around.

karlbenson

BBCode is also antiquated these days.

Arantor

It might be antiquated but how else would you do, say, footnotes or the more complex (and informative) style of quoting in regular WYSIWYG as opposed to having the useful shortcode style that is bbcode?

(In fact, such things as bbcode are so antiquated, WordPress has support for very similar to it for just that reason. Look up 'shortcode' on WordPress' site...)

Fustrate

I'd still like to have a Markdown option in future versions, for when you don't need all this fancy-schmancy stuff.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

MrPhil

Quote from: Fustrate on June 04, 2012, 03:45:50 PM
I'd still like to have a Markdown option in future versions, for when you don't need all this fancy-schmancy stuff.

Well... there's still markup in-line with the useful text. Whether it's Markdown, BBCode, HTML, Wiki, or something else, there's still markup codes. I see that Markdown can get rid of some explicit markup tags through indentation, line breaks, and list markers, which is good. I guess that's what you like about it. Short of a WYSIWYG system that doesn't permit explicit tags (a la Word), I don't think we'll ever completely get rid of tags. For multiple author projects, I suppose you could permit "any of the above" (just as long as it's one at a time). Rather than imposing a single system on everyone, let them use what they're comfortable with (perhaps changing to a tagged markup internally). Let's not discuss how much this will bloat the code...  :o

Masterd

It was about time to make this decision.

MidasBalaa

SMF 2.0.x is the best. Looks really good

Angelina Belle

Thanks.  And remember, the SMF 1.1.x line will still be supported until further notice.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

青山 素子

I propose that this topic be locked. It's been open for comment long enough.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Advertisement: