Default setting: return to thread or return to index?

Started by Antechinus, April 05, 2012, 10:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which option would you prefer?

Return to thread automatically after you post.
34 (82.9%)
Return to message index automatically after you post.
7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Antechinus

Which would mean we effectively would require an advanced quick reply to make Ajax posting worthwhile. Funnily enough, some people still want to argue against having an advanced quick reply in SMF..........................

IchBin™

Quote from: Antechinus on April 06, 2012, 07:32:08 PM
Which would mean we effectively would require an advanced quick reply to make Ajax posting worthwhile. Funnily enough, some people still want to argue against having an advanced quick reply in SMF..........................

Another poll!! :D
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Antechinus

emanuele

Quote from: Antechinus on April 06, 2012, 07:32:08 PM
So the thing we were working on a while ago...
Well, it wasn't strictly ajax AFAIR, but it wouldn't be too difficult to put in ajax too. :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Antechinus

Norv

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Antechinus

So far, 76% of voters find the current default annoying and want it swapped around. That will annoy the other 24%, but it means we'll be three times less annoying, which has gotta be good for any software. :D

Plus they can just change it back in their profiles anyway. ;)

emanuele

21 votes out of 250000 members...not that much... :(

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Chalky

Quote from: emanuele on April 08, 2012, 04:59:40 AM
21 votes out of 250000 members...not that much... :(

I suspect that's because too many members only post when they have a problem they want resolving and don't bother to read anything else - including this poll.... 

Antechinus

Kindred

see... I just don't understand the logic. :P

Why would you want to go back to a thread that you just finished reading and responding to?
When I post, I'm done with the thread, I want to go on to the next one. That seems only logical...... (??? hmmm?)
If I'm afraid I mistyped something, then I re-read the message before hitting post.....
(I am warned if someone posts a message to the thread in between me starting and finishing, so that argument doesn't work either)

can someone explain, logically (not just preference, but actual logic) why you want to go back to a thread after your done reading and responding?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Chalky

For me there are various reasons for wanting to return to my message after I post.

I want to make sure the message is posted properly.
It doesn't do any harm to check for typos and formatting again - I can miss typos even after three previews, and sometimes it takes several goes before I'm content with the formatting.....
I want to see my message in the context of the rest of the thread, to check that I have answered everything I wanted to answer from the earlier posts.
I want to see my message exactly as others will be seeing it in the same context that they will see it.  In a way, it isn't really there until I do.
Sometimes, I want to click thanks on the post I'm answering only after I have posted the reply, so they don't think they're just getting a thanks without a full reply, or so they don't know I've seen their post before I've posted the reply.
Sometimes it's easier to wait for thanks and replies just by staying on the thread and refreshing the page.
Sometimes, very occasionally, I'm so proud of what I've posted that I want to sit and admire it awhile  :P

I could go on, but I think that's enough for you to be mulling over  :laugh:

Edit:  Proof in action, I previewed this message before posting, then after posting I sat back and read it another few times.  Only after the second post-post reading, I spotted a typo, which I have now corrected, so I will save the changes and now re-read my post a few more times before moving on  ;)

Robert.

I voted for the first option. I totally agree with Sabrinova, so that's why I voted for the first one.

emanuele

Quote from: Kindred on April 08, 2012, 08:16:26 AM
can someone explain, logically (not just preference, but actual logic) why you want to go back to a thread after your done reading and responding?
In my opinion is logic if you post from the quick reply. You write your post without previewing it, then when you post it would be nice to see it "in context" (and fully formatted, just to be sure).
From the post page is less strictly needed because you can quickly use the preview, but from time to time is useful.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Norv

Quote from: Sabrinova on April 08, 2012, 08:27:18 AM
Sometimes, very occasionally, I'm so proud of what I've posted that I want to sit and admire it awhile  :P

Haha, nice one! :D

------------

IMHO it's just natural, for people to use the forum functionalities differently, for a variety of reasons of their own. For one, it's not obvious anyway where do they want to go next; I see in some discussions, that people mention continuing reading *not* the board, but the unread replies (or recent unread). So perhaps taking them away from the topic to land on the message index of the board is not at all, necessarily, what they were going to do next, it's assuming a style of using the forum which just isn't that common.
Of course, they can always pick the board from the linktree, if that's what they want: the choice is there.

Basically, it seems to me the question is when exactly do people finish with their posting action. When they post or when they see the post in context, and choose what to do next. Looks like the latter. :) Thank you all for the votes and discussion.

---------

Motoko,
Yes, SMF uses 'topic', but hey, it's not like we don't understand each other if we use 'topic' and 'thread' interchangeably. :)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Kindred

thank you Sabrinova...   I still think that you are all weird and illogical, but I guess my logic follows a different path. :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

If the weird people outnumber you four to one, what does that say about you? :D

IchBin™

IchBin™        TinyPortal

Thantos

Quote from: Antechinus on April 08, 2012, 04:48:45 PM
If the weird people outnumber you four to one, what does that say about you? :D
The world is screwed

Advertisement: