Requests for 2.1

Started by br360, December 04, 2013, 03:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

br360

Not sure if this is the right place, and I apologize in advance if these ideas had been talked about elsewhere a million times, but there are a couple of things that I saw on some other software recently and personally would really like to see as default items on 2.1.

1).Board sort methods- This seems to be stock on both vbulletin and ipboard, and think it would be great to be able to sort different boards in different ways. (last post, topic starter, subject, views, first post, etc)

I checked out the downloads page and although there are 4 different mods for this, none of them have been updated since at the very latest 2.0.1, so I'm not so confident that any of these would be updated for 2.1.

Looking at the numbers it seems that theses mods have been downloaded over 70,000 times (not to mention the amount of downloads from another B.S.M. mod that was removed( from what I remember, it wasn't properly licenced, but not sure), so I'm guessing that I'm not the only one that thinks this is a good feature.

2). A built in media bbc.

I know there is the avea mod which is cool and does exactly this, but in all honesty it also adds a ton of code to the files, as well as adds a bunch of things that some of us just wanting to add things like youtube, vimeo, etc aren't necessarily needing or looking for. A media bbc would basically open a pop up window where someone can copy and paste a media link into it, press enter, and it would show up in the post.

Have there been any talks or considerations about possibly adding them as default items?

kat

I doubt that your second request will ever implemented, coz I believe that such sites seem to change the way they're accessed, which would mean updating the code quite often. It would also mean unnecessary bloat, for people who don't want that. Besides, embedding videos, like that, would put quite a load on the server, if there were a lot of them and a lot of people were watching them. I'd imagine that it'd positively eat bandwidth, too.

Naturally, I'd be quite happy, if someone would prove me to be wrong, with that... :)

Arantor

This is the correct place.

1) Just because vBulletin and IPB have it is not enough reason for us to have it. Give me a reason that isn't 'because they have it' and I'll consider it. But the fact it will have performance issues does make it hard for me to consider.

2) The maintenance required for us to support this is a strong reason not to implement this. But since the load is primarily from other sites (e.g. YouTube's servers), it's not likely to put a lot of load on *your* server.

There have not been recent talks on adding these - and right now the reasons are definitely more against than for inclusion.

kat

I was a bit wrong, there...

Ta, matey! :)

br360

Quote from: Arantor Beeblebrox the First on December 04, 2013, 03:22:32 PM
This is the correct place.

1) Just because vBulletin and IPB have it is not enough reason for us to have it. Give me a reason that isn't 'because they have it' and I'll consider it. But the fact it will have performance issues does make it hard for me to consider.

2) The maintenance required for us to support this is a strong reason not to implement this. But since the load is primarily from other sites (e.g. YouTube's servers), it's not likely to put a lot of load on *your* server.

There have not been recent talks on adding these - and right now the reasons are definitely more against than for inclusion.

The reason why the BSM is important for me at least is is that I have a classifieds board where people are allowed to sell items or offer services.  It has become a fairly active part of the forum, and each member is allowed to post either one new item, or repost their existing item for sale, every other day.

I allow people that are interested in a certain item or service to post on the topic to ask questions, but some used to take advantage by asking questions just so their friend that is selling the item could have said item bumped to the top. By setting the classifieds board to "first post", any new comments or posts on a topic would not bump it to the top- thus being fair to everyone else that was following the posting guidelines.

The second idea I could live with or without, just thought it was cool. ;)

Arantor

I would note that there are dedicated options for classifieds that might be more appropriate for your needs than trying to make a board into something it is not.

br360

When saying dedicated options, are you referring to other mods, or something else?

Arantor

I'm referring to other mods that might be better alternatives for you. SMF Trader comes to mind. The paid Classifieds mod also comes to mind.

br360

Thanks for that. I did check out and install both of those, but neither is exactly what I'm looking for. The paid classifieds didn't seem to stop new posts from bumping to the top, and in all honesty- the trader mod has way more options than I'm looking for. (nor does it seem to really fit in regards to services offered)

I do prefer the layout I have now with just simply having one board on the forum specifically for classified, selling stuff and services offered; and the members have all become accustomed to it as well.

Advertisement: