News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Are they spammers?

Started by Srinib, April 28, 2012, 03:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Srinib

I just installed SMF(2.0.2) to on of my web sites and to my surprise, when i checked in to see the "view the memberlist", the below 10 fellows were sitting in the member list.

Accoliideog
cdAgrenenovGrillseq
CypeCauramp
dumssoymn
eueyexor
Goodleftoft
lyaheueqc
myrxnqkxt
tjzjjihuj
yecqgkyh

The doubts i have are:
How can they do that?
Are they spammers?
How do i control them in the future?

Colin

Yes, those are spam accounts. Luckily SMF has a diverse collection of anti-spam modifications.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=19
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MrPhil

Those sound like typical spammer IDs. If they don't post (good, useful posts) within a few days, or start posting spam, just ban them. Don't forget to use some of the built-in anti-spam features to reduce spammer signup: CAPTCHA, questions. There are also anti-spam mods to compare IP addresses and email addresses against lists of known spammers, and reject the signup.

NanoSector

Keep in mind that CAPTCHA is almost useless these days.
Better be safe then sorry though.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Srinib

What is the best MOD to keep spammers away for the latest version of SMF?

NanoSector

Quote from: MrPhil on April 28, 2012, 10:21:19 AM
Don't forget to use some of the built-in anti-spam features to reduce spammer signup: CAPTCHA, questions.
(most effective IMO)
...and...

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?action=search;type=19
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Robert.

I know it isn't a mod, but you might want to check out verification questions, which also helps a lot. :)

tumbleweed

G.C. SOLUTIONS - Hosting Quality Sites Since 2006. Experience Your Forums On A Whole New Level
Elastic Sites Stress Fast CPU/Ram Upgrades- More Info Here.
Reviews By SMF Forum Owners - Read Our Rev

NanoSector

Quote from: 医生唱片骑师 on May 02, 2012, 02:52:07 PM
I know it isn't a mod, but you might want to check out verification questions, which also helps a lot. :)
That's in the quote I...well...quoted ;D

Advertisement: