News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unable to install packages?

Started by Dean313, June 21, 2012, 05:15:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

Many systems don't allow 777 permissions. They will block access to the directory and SMF will complain that it's not writable. Always start with 755, and if SMF complains, try 775 before going to 777. One of those (in that order) will work.

Note that FTP clients are often blocked from doing a chmod request. You can change permissions until you're blue in the face, but they won't really be changed. You will need to use your host's control panel File Manager to change permissions. In any case, double check that the permissions actually changed, before proceeding.

Dean313

Now I install mods, they install, but no changes happen to my forum..

kat

Hmmm... I think your problems can be summed-up in one word.

"Host".

Who's your host? They sound as bad as Godaddy seem to be...

Storman™

QuoteNow I install mods, they install, but no changes happen to my forum..

They might appear as installed in the "Installed Packages" list but I bet no (or all) file changes took place.

Try uninstalling one (but don't proceed) - bet it throws up errors.

Dean313

Quote from: K@ on June 27, 2012, 06:34:53 AM
Hmmm... I think your problems can be summed-up in one word.

"Host".

Who's your host? They sound as bad as Godaddy seem to be...

A terrible one, "TrentaHost". (http://trentahost.com/) I just had a skype conversation with this moron who owns it, and he's the biggest idiot I've ever seen. We're going to switch hosts soon, and I'll just try a fresh SMF install and see what happens. I shouldn't have expected much for hosting that was so cheap.

Quote from: Storman on June 27, 2012, 07:41:10 AM
QuoteNow I install mods, they install, but no changes happen to my forum..

They might appear as installed in the "Installed Packages" list but I bet no (or all) file changes took place.

Try uninstalling one (but don't proceed) - bet it throws up errors.

Yeah, they do appear as installed, some do throw errors, but others don't.

Storman™

Out of interest did you check to see if the "temp" folder is still there. It usually gets deleted when you install something.

Have a check via FTP and refresh it (F5). If not there you'll need to recreate it constantly whilst installing packages.

Dean313

Quote from: Storman on June 27, 2012, 07:55:14 AM
Out of interest did you check to see if the "temp" folder is still there. It usually gets deleted when you install something.

Have a check via FTP and refresh it (F5). If not there you'll need to recreate it constantly whilst installing packages.

Yeah, it's not there.

Colin

Have you tried installing a package yourself after he "magically" installed one?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Advertisement: