News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

A user deleted himself accidentally

Started by NukeWorker.com, January 12, 2004, 09:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NukeWorker.com

With the OLD Yabb.pl, they could just sign back up under the old user name, and poof, all the messages were re-atributed to that users.

I have a user that was the #1 poster, over 3000 messages posted.  I would like to get them their user account back, co 3,000 messages don't say guest.  What can I do?

[Unknown]

It's actually not that hard.  What you do is find the new ID_MEMBER for this user.  To do this, find a link to their profile, and check what the link goes to.  For example, my profile is at:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=2

That "u=2" part is what you are looking for.  Once you have the number, you can reattribute posts with a query in phpMyAdmin.

UPDATE yabbse_messages
SET ID_MEMBER = their new ID_MEMBER
WHERE posterEmail = 'the email they had';

So, if I had deleted myself I would do this:

UPDATE yabbse_messages
SET ID_MEMBER = 2
WHERE posterEmail = '[email protected]';

-[Unknown]

NukeWorker.com

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 12, 2004, 10:27:13 PM

UPDATE yabbse_messages
SET ID_MEMBER = 2

-[Unknown]

Thank you.  This would be a great one for a faq.

nil

Someone with over 3000 posts of experience deleted them selves?  Shouldn't they know better than to do that?

Tilton53

Dem0n

Quote from: Sexy Nil on January 15, 2004, 12:16:04 AM
Someone with over 3000 posts of experience deleted them selves?  Shouldn't they know better than to do that?

lol, yes, they should.

Rebelbelle

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 12, 2004, 10:27:13 PM
It's actually not that hard.  What you do is find the new ID_MEMBER for this user.  To do this, find a link to their profile, and check what the link goes to.  For example, my profile is at:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=2

That "u=2" part is what you are looking for.  Once you have the number, you can reattribute posts with a query in phpMyAdmin.

UPDATE yabbse_messages
SET ID_MEMBER = their new ID_MEMBER
WHERE posterEmail = 'the email they had';

UPDATE yabbse_messages
SET ID_MEMBER = 2

-[Unknown]

I tried to do this and do not know what I am doing.  In my phpadmin, I selected the smf database and from there have no clue what to do.  I clicked on smf members and there is nothing listed like what you have above.

Kim (next person who deletes themselves is going to be taken out back and shot.  LOL)

[Unknown]

Heh, click the "SQL" tab...

I'm actually *personally* really for the idea that when someone registers, any guest posts mae by said email address should be assigned to the person who registers.  But some people don't like this, so maybe it can be a mod.

-[Unknown]

Rebelbelle

Quote from: [Unknown] on January 16, 2004, 08:51:47 PM
Heh, click the "SQL" tab...

I'm actually *personally* really for the idea that when someone registers, any guest posts mae by said email address should be assigned to the person who registers.  But some people don't like this, so maybe it can be a mod.

-[Unknown]

Thanks so much for your help.  I only had to add how many posts he made.  I think I am going to have to put you on my Christmas list.   ;)

Actually I think that is a good idea.  It sure would make it easier on those of us that run the boards.  This way if someone deletes themselves, all they have to do is join with their email addy and have all their posts back.     :)

Tyris

* Tyris agrees with [Unknown]'s mod idea

nil

Syrann

On the subject of users deleting themselves...is there currently a way to prevent anyone but admins from doing the deleting?

Fizzy

Quote from: Dem0n on January 15, 2004, 04:46:24 PM
Quote from: Sexy Nil on January 15, 2004, 12:16:04 AM

lol, yes, they should.

That's not exactly called for, is it ?

Just because a member posts a lot of messages doesn't make them a YaBBSE/SMF expert, does it ?
Or do people think that "posting" = "knowledge of the internal workings of YaBBSE/SMF" ?
Give the members an even break guys  :-X

Why not have a re-instate or undelete option for members ?
If they have the option to delete then surely it's only logical to assume that people will invariably make mistakes regardless of how many pop-up Y/N 's you out in there
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

nil

Fizzy I could almost see your point with someone who has 300 posts but by the time you get to 3,000 you'd better know a thing or two about the system.

[note]We currently have only one person over 3,000 posts on this forum ([Unknown])[/note]

Fizzy

;D

Speaking from experience here, even my wife has managed to do it  :D

The thing is that people can get distracted, may not be fully awake, may just get easily distracted etc and before they know it .... Poof ! They're deleted.

I got so fed up with them doing it by accident that I eventually made "delete" an admin function  :-[

A classic example, I have a member with 2,500 posts, she still doesn't understand how to get smilies in her posts  :o  Just can't get her head around the idea that colons and brackets magically transform in to little smiley faces   :-\

When I have followed up the accidental deletions the reply I have had from each of them was that they got confused when prompted with the "do you want to delete your profile? " . They didn't understand how they had got there, paniced and then clicked on OK thinking that would cancel the operation.

Some people do that, they panic when faced with somethig they didn't expect.

As SMF is being written to work on the broadest range of servers/facilities etc (good move) it would seem only logical to have facilities and safe-guards that cover the full range of users, from experts to absolute novices and the non-techically minded (which surely makes up the majority pf the internet users)

That's just my observations on it :)
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

[Unknown]

It does have safe guards.  You can now disable deleting yourself, and it makes you type in your password specifically for deleting your profile.

-[Unknown]

Rebelbelle

Quote from: Fizzy on February 21, 2004, 04:20:13 AM
;D

Speaking from experience here, even my wife has managed to do it  :D

The thing is that people can get distracted, may not be fully awake, may just get easily distracted etc and before they know it .... Poof ! They're deleted.

I got so fed up with them doing it by accident that I eventually made "delete" an admin function  :-[

Can you tell me where you went to make "delete" an admin function?

Thanks
Kim

Douglas

Don't forget my mod/hack next time this happens.  I've got a specific script that'll do exactly what you need, all you have to do is type the old username and the new one, and do it that way.  It's over on YaBB SE (this is for reattributing posts to a user, by the way.).
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

charlottezweb

Quote from: Douglas on March 08, 2004, 02:47:57 PM
Don't forget my mod/hack next time this happens.  I've got a specific script that'll do exactly what you need, all you have to do is type the old username and the new one, and do it that way.  It's over on YaBB SE (this is for reattributing posts to a user, by the way.).

Yep, i can vouch for that one...had to use it multiple times for some users

madfiddler

Even worse than this, I've deleted myself from my test board, and I'm the owner/admin.

This was done while editing member groups. I wanted to remove myself from a member group, and assumed the 'delete' button did that - but it deleted my membership from the forum.

Advertisement: