TOS Page

Started by xTyler, July 07, 2012, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xTyler

Basically i want a tos page that only shows when people have never visited my site before. Now i know this will mean storing ip address and i have already got the page.. www.MyForumUrl.co.uk/TOS.php (not actual forum). And on the page if they click agree it will direct them to my forum and wont show next time they try visit my forum. I was wondering if anyone could help?

My forum version is 2.0 RC3 but i dont know if this is needed :L

thanks.

MrPhil

What is the point of this? You're talking about guests who get a TOS to agree to the first time they read it? Applicants to be members already have to agree to the agreement.txt. I'm curious as to what kind of things people have to agree to in order to read the forum as guests.

Anyway, one approach is to add a new page, with a menu button pointing to it. Take a look at http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1311 . It would take some custom coding to look up guest IP addresses and force them to the page (and agree to it). It could be done, I suppose. Don't forget that a given guest could come in on a different IP address each time, and be forced to agree to the TOS each time! Guests could also come in directly to a page via a deep link, bypassing any checks you have up at the top, so you need to code for that.

Arantor

Oh, and just for fun it'll also discourage search engines from visiting too.

Matthew K.

If someone didn't like you, they could spam that page as a guest, refreshing their IP address and overflow the table that stores it.

Mr. Phil is right though, this really isn't necessary. If you want it to be, just require guests to register and modify agreement.txt (User Agreement Update?) to fit your needs.

xTyler

Okay thanks for your advice.

Matthew K.

Not a problem, hope things work out well for you!

Advertisement: