News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

delete packages/backups?

Started by rob54, October 03, 2009, 12:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob54

My packages/backups folder has become very large (115Mb) and is about half the total size of the forum according to cPanel Disk Space Usage. I wonder, do I dare delete the backups? What do you recommend folks?

Oldiesmann

If all your installed mods are working fine, then yes, you can delete the files in that folder. Those backups are created when you install or uninstall a mod - they contain a backup of all your forum files from before the (un)installation so you can easily restore it to the previous state if something goes wrong during the process.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

rob54

OK I see. No wonder it get so big! Just to indicate what the /backup folder shows I attach a screenshot here so you can see what I've been doing! It is working OK but if I do delete, should it just be the files leaving the folder there?

Thanks

Tyrsson

Leave the folder. You can remove the tar.gz archives since they are the actual backup archives.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

rob54

All archives gone and thanks for your help. I'll mark the topic solved.

Tyrsson

Glad you got it sorted out. If you have further questions feel free to start a new topic :)
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

ocmdiaz714

Is it safe to delete the archives within the packages folder as well? Not only the backups?

青山 素子

You can, but it will remove the ability to uninstall the modification, if it is installed. If it's an old version of a modification or not installed, you can delete it without any problems.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

ocmdiaz714

Quote from: 青山 素子 on August 27, 2012, 03:48:28 PM
You can, but it will remove the ability to uninstall the modification, if it is installed. If it's an old version of a modification or not installed, you can delete it without any problems.

Got ya, thanks.

Advertisement: