News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emanuele

It's been a while since the last update on the subject, right? Well, let's try to fill the gap.

Summary of SMF Development Release Cycle (Simple Form)
Development Builds/Alpha Testing -> Beta Testing -> Release Candidates -> Final

• Development Builds/Alpha; Features or major core code work being carried out on the codebase. Bugs and features are worked on and improved, the team starts testing the code base for problems blocking normal use
  • Beta; We seek help from the beta testers, Charter Members and any brave community members to put SMF through it paces and look for specific issues relating to different parts of SMF, we start to bring down the number of bugs.
  • Release Candidate; We are confident the code is stable enough to be "final", but the fixes applied during the beta phase need to be tested, at this point it will be bug hunting and fixing time only, no major work shall be done.
  • Final; After some testing in the various stages before, we polish off the last of the release and bring SMF 2.1 out, by this time it will be stable and have had a long test process to hopefully iron out any show stopping bugs.
After this process we move into a maintenance cycle for the release, meaning that bug fixes and security patches will continue to be issued.

The most active part of SMF 2.1 development ended a few days ago, this means that after having added features and code improvements we are now facing a stabilization phase where we will not add any new features and will concentrate on fixing bugs.

With this post we would also like to start involve the community into the main development process in two ways: first officially presenting our public repository. As some of you may already have noticed, the main repository where SMF 2.1 is being developed is now publicly available at github: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1 That means anyone can see the code, fork it and send pull requests with new features or bug fixes.

Second giving you something to play with: attached is the first public "build" of SMF 2.1. We don't consider the code stable enough to be labelled as "beta", as such we are releasing "SMF 2.1 Alpha". It contains all the new features that will be present in the final version of SMF 2.1. Some may be clearly evident, some less so, and for that reason in the coming weeks we will post a series of blog posts to explain the main improvements from SMF 2.0 futher.

This version of SMF is not considered suitable for a public site yet, use it only for testing!

In the meantime, enjoy what SMF 2.1 will be, report any bugs you find and again, feel free to contribute with code and patches at our public repo.

We all hope you will participate in SMF development with testing and/or patches! ;D

Update: 15/01/2013
The package has been removed since outdated.
You can download the most recent version of the code from github, direct link.
You can find the instruction on how to prepare an install package on the Online Manual, at the following page: How to create an install from repo

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Robert.

Trekkie101

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

LiroyvH

Great news indeed, well done :) Thank you!
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Iomega0318

Very nice! Can't wait to play with it (that sounded much cleaner in my head)..
Keep up the great work guys/gals! And love the new github!

**EDIT**
The very first thing one should notice is the new theme lol, definitely going to take some getting use to.

For anyone interested you can see 2.1 Alpha on my test site here:
UOFreeshards.net 2.1 Aplha Test Site
All Core Features have been enabled on the site, if you want to register and test them out feel free.

**EDIT TWO**
OMFreakingG! I have noticed a few things that I absolutely love! I would say them but no spoilers, unless you say it's ok lol..
UOFreeshards.net
"I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun...
not because I see it but because by it I see everything else."
C.S. Lewis

Heed what I say, for it shall be mentioned only once.

Antes

Awesome news! Thanks for all hard work done by everybody!
Quick question : This is Release2.1 Branch right?

Iomega0318

Quote from: Antes on September 02, 2012, 07:20:06 PM
Quote from: emanuele on September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PMSecond giving you something to play with: attached is the first public "build" of SMF 2.1. We don't consider the code stable enough to be labelled as "beta", as such we are releasing "SMF 2.1 Alpha".
;)
UOFreeshards.net
"I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun...
not because I see it but because by it I see everything else."
C.S. Lewis

Heed what I say, for it shall be mentioned only once.

gisfreak

wow awesomeeeee
Im gonna deploy this on my localhost

congrats DEV
Me fail English? That's unpossible.

CountryLady

sAce

looking awesome guys.. good work

carajo

SMF 2.0 RC3

Ricky.

Gary

Sweetness.

I'll be messing with the new theme in 2.1 and porting my flagship theme to it sooner or later. :P
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Hackathon

I've been waiting for so long.. . Thanks SMF team.. :)

emanuele

Quote from: Antes on September 02, 2012, 07:20:06 PM
Yes, but with some more "tricks" to quickly fix few issues discovered while packaging and that will be more properly patched later. :P

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

TigPT

Good news.

I will test it in a sand box server. Keep going SMF

emanuele

Quote from: Iomega0318 on September 02, 2012, 06:47:51 PM
**EDIT TWO**
OMFreakingG! I have noticed a few things that I absolutely love! I would say them but no spoilers, unless you say it's ok lol..
* emanuele is curious! :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

JBlaze

Running it on a sandbox. Beating the hell out of it with a population script and whatnot. Holding up so far.

Awesome job on the new theme. Much cleaner and easier on the eyes, not to mention more modern ;)

Keep up the great work ladies and gents! I wish I had more time to contribute myself, but alas, RLTM takes precedence :(

I also may decide to run this on my live forums, once an upgrade package is available. I highly suggest you know your beans before making a decision like that btw ;)
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

emanuele

Quote from: JBlaze on September 03, 2012, 07:04:48 AM
I also may decide to run this on my live forums, once an upgrade package is available. I highly suggest you know your beans before making a decision like that btw ;)
Prevent this is the reason I didn't post the upgrade package! :P

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: