Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Yeah, I found out that a single tap brings out the mini profiles, but, as I said, the majority of the users are never going to figure it out.

Ah well... As noted, even though I hate the whole hideen until clicked thing, it is a personal preference and can be handled with a customized theme fairly easily.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

butchs

Quote from: Kindred on September 03, 2012, 05:25:42 PM
Actually, the hover stuff is something that I despise...

For one, I want things displayed, not requiring hover... 99% of the people will never find it if it requires a hover.

Now I understand why it has been historically difficult to update my Board Hover mod when a new version of SMF comes out.  I am going to wait for the release before I take on the challenge... 
:)

EDIT:  Just looked at it and there was only two changes...  Where is the fun in that?   :'(
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

.Vapor

Great work ! Looks very clean, please design new on / off icons :)

4Kstore

I really like this, nice job... and thanks for so much!

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Joshua Dickerson

I strongly encourage anyone interested to go check it out on Github. Using Git is enabling us to make changes much, much faster than before by allowing everyone to develop on what is currently being worked on.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Irisado

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson on September 06, 2012, 08:27:59 AM
I strongly encourage anyone interested to go check it out on Github. Using Git is enabling us to make changes much, much faster than before by allowing everyone to develop on what is currently being worked on.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I suspect that's more suited to admins and programmers.

I only moderate using SMF, so I'll just report any testing errors I find to testers on the same test forum who know a lot more about coding than I do, and they can get involved on the Github.  I hope that this is okay.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Joshua Dickerson

Absolutely okay. I meant for those that are capable and interested. If you don't know how to program, Github isn't the place for you.

rocknroller

Very cool great work, Congrats  8)

Kindred

well, rather than reporting bugs here, you should either report them in the bug list or on one of the test sites that the devs are reviewing/reading (like mine...)
(especially since the hooks problem was reported and fixed last week. :P )

Also... note: once something goes into Alpha, there are no new features...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

rocknroller

Quote from: Kindred on September 07, 2012, 11:11:20 AM
well, rather than reporting bugs here, you should either report them in the bug list or on one of the test sites that the devs are reviewing/reading (like mine...)
(especially since the hooks problem was reported and fixed last week. :P )

Also... note: once something goes into Alpha, there are no new features...

I moved my post into Bugs report Board, before i sow this post, but thanks :) Kindred

Kindred

lol...  modified as I was posting, I guess. :)
Слaва
Украинi

SoLoGHoST

OUCH!  I'm sorry to say that I'm totally NOT impressed one bit!  The new look, is ugly, sorry to say!  But I suppose that's why there are different themes.

I see you've added an integration hook for loading up a default action (actually a non-action) within index.php, however, you guys failed to include this integration hook at the bottom when it falls through to the board index...

Thus:  action=blahblahblah will load up the Board Index, since the action doesn't exist.  However, it would make more sense to load up the default action from the integration function.

No offense, but ouch!!

I do however, like the idea of Drafts being added to the Core Features, and being able to disable Integration hooks that are added in by mods, but honestly, the first impression I got after installing the SMF 2.1 Alpha Release was OUCH!  And you've added in a slight animation for when expanding/collapsing certain sections, which I find a bit slow and annoying TBH.

Well, I know it's only in Alpha status, so good luck!

P.S. - Maybe if I find some time, I will fork it with a few changes and resubmit it on your GIT Repository, but honestly, IMO, it needs a lot of work still!

Daniel15

Awesome, nice work!

Surely it's time to clean up some of the old JavaScript (the bits with IE 5 hacks for example) :P
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Joshua Dickerson

SoLoGHoST, I welcome you to fork and submit pull requests. Development depends on people criticizing... and having solutions.

Hopefully the code changes will make it easier for you to modify the base.

SoLoGHoST

Thanks, I'll give it a shot...  I think I can improve the animation of your expand/collapse with 1 function that works in all browsers.  And not sure what the Class-BrowserDetect.php file does, as I haven't looked at it yet, just noticed it.  But by the name of it, I would assume it's a way to detect browsers and code differently for each.

-Solo

SoLoGHoST

Oh, wait, I see you've adapted jQuery into SMF, smart move!  Was thinking of doing the same in DP, but now I don't have to, since it's a part of SMF 2.1.  Anyways, I think I feel the forum a bit more, now that I've browsed around it more.  Like I said, first impression is UGGH, but it kinda grows on you as you tend to experience it a bit more in full depth.  I'll just play and have some fun with it anyways.

I wonder how much time I have to play with it before it goes public??  Cause my time is very limited, these days, with work and Dream Portal... argg!

P.S. -> I really want to thank the person who added in the loadCSSFile function in Load.php!  And you actually grab the basename of the $sheet, and we can now supply our own id.  YOU ROCK!!!

P.P.S. -> I am struggling with understanding how the Core Features work now.  The save button is gone, and I see that there is an AJAX call, and a $context['hooks_exist'] as well as $subActions['hooks'] in the ModifyModSettings function of the ManageSettings.php file.  Trying to understand why my mods Core Features aren't working... arggg!!!  Looking into the Integration Hooks section reveals the hooks in the mod, yet states that the hooks aren't found???  Weird...

emanuele

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on September 08, 2012, 01:49:23 AM
P.P.S. -> I am struggling with understanding how the Core Features work now.  The save button is gone, and I see that there is an AJAX call, and a $context['hooks_exist'] as well as $subActions['hooks'] in the ModifyModSettings function of the ManageSettings.php file.  Trying to understand why my mods Core Features aren't saving... arggg!!!
What hook do you use to include the file?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

SoLoGHoST

Well, only 2 hooks are installed upon installing the mod.  And I'm using: integrate_admin_include, which points to dp_core.php file and integrate_core_features which points to the function within dp_core.php file.  Am I supposed to populate an array inside of $context['hooks_exist'] with all of the hooks for the mod?  Cause in dp_core.php, it handles the setting_callback which, I thought was enough... but apparently isn't.  Was enough in SMF 2.0.2.

Than if the feature is enabled, integrate_pre_include gets used for the file that actually has the rest of the functions that the integration functions point to.

emanuele

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on September 08, 2012, 04:28:16 AM
Well, only 2 hooks are installed upon installing the mod.  And I'm using: integrate_admin_include, which points to dp_core.php file and integrate_core_features
That's strange I thought I fixed the admin_include before releasing this package, but maybe I was wrong...I have to check...

You are not supposed to do anything else than add the hooks where they should be. There is nothing else to mess with. ;)

ETA: yeah, forgot to put in global a couple of variables (namely $boarddir and $settings)... I should never do things "right before" prepare the package... ::)

ETA2: BTW if you find something that doesn't work I'd prefer if you open a new topic in bug reports rather than use this one as "support/development" topic, thanks! ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: emanuele on September 08, 2012, 04:33:15 AM
You are not supposed to do anything else than add the hooks where they should be. There is nothing else to mess with. ;)

Well, in Core Features, don't you need to handle adding/removing of the hooks upon enabling and disabling of the feature??  SMF can't handle this, simply because there are hooks that still need to be installed, even when disabling of the Core Feature.  Such as the hooks I've already mentioned:  integrate_admin_include and integrate_core_features

Right now, I can see the Core Feature in there, but clicking on the icon on the right to enable it, pops up a Red box up top, stating, "Sorry, but the Feature doesn't exist".  So, basically, it won't enable the feature at all.

ETA:  Please feel free to split this topic where you see fit!  And no problem, it's a pleasure finding bugs...  And I don't mind squashing them either, some people get grossed out by it, not me! ;)

Advertisement: