News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Some updates on SMF 2.1

Started by emanuele, September 02, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

Quote from: Antechinus on November 16, 2012, 10:55:56 PM
No default theme, or no custom theme for that matter, is ever going to please everyone. People can do their own thing if they don't like the default. :)
There was a fair bit of "i don't like it" when Curve theme came out too. :) People didn't like curved elements because they were used to boxy Core theme.

That said, there's always room for improvements, Curve was modified on many details for quite some time after it came out. The key was "time" - one have to give it some usage time first.

maxg

Bloc... is correct and as I suggested before, rather finding what we don't like about it, it would be best to think what can we do with it, an already great theme and frame work!

If some do not know how, there are many free and some paid, but allot of free help out here, once it goes to the test of the Beta stage, or future> If you do know how, then there should no issues fitting your needs!

My eyes are wide open on this one... I'm liking it and planing ahead with it in mind>> thumb up!

regards,
Maxx

zdeveloper

Quote from: The Burglar! on November 16, 2012, 10:08:10 PM
You can always change the look if ya like.. ;)

This is just a [WIP]...
well, I'm fine with feature updates as long as I can still use Curve  ;)
I've never really like changing web themes that are identifiable,LOL.

for the people saying Curve was a bit different I agree on that, but it's kind of similar as for colors,gradients, etc. making it easier to adapt to.

Despite this I still want to see what new features there are,so I'll at least install it to test.  ;)

Akyhne

Quote from: zdeveloper on November 17, 2012, 10:45:42 AM
well, I'm fine with feature updates as long as I can still use Curve  ;)
That would require someone to make a SMF 2.1 version of it.

Antechinus

That wouldn't be all that difficult, if someone wanted to do it. It would still make sense to incorporate some of the features from the 2.1 default, and to fix some of the known problems with Curve.

Akyhne

So I hear you suggest just taking the Curve theme (or any theme) and change the important stuff, instead of creating a new theme based on the new default?

Herman's Mixen

yup it does a a few lines of code needed into curve look at these sections in Curve II

index.template.php
Code (search) Select

// load in any css from mods or themes so they can overwrite if wanted
template_css();

// load in any javascript files from mods and themes
template_javascript();

place that into the head section normal curve, and this other one is needed as well

Code (search) Select

// load in any javascipt that could be defered to the end of the page
template_javascript(true);

you can place that in the function template_html_below() just after the globals

that must be all to get it basically get it to work, i did not test this... i will if i have time in a couple of days ;)
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

Akyhne

I didn't ask how to do it, I asked Ants opinion on what he would do.

Antechinus

It's a toss up. You'd have to rebuild some of Curve anyway. It'd probably make sense to start with Curve's index.template.php but use default templates as a basis for the rest. Even then you'd have to restructure index.template.php a bit. I did do a basic 2.1 version of Curve to start with, but we ended up going with the other theme. If I still have the 2.1 Curve files somewhere I can give them to anyone who is interested (I'm not).

Akyhne

I would say that's the best way too, if you don't want to have a theme with all templates within.

Quote from: Antechinus on November 18, 2012, 03:18:07 PM
If I still have the 2.1 Curve files somewhere I can give them to anyone who is interested (I'm not).
No thanks! I might pick up Yabb SE & Babylon, though.

Antechinus

Ok. Personally I have no interest in any of the old default themes. In fact, what got me into theming in the first place was the fact that I disliked the old defaults so much.

SoLoGHoST

I'm not sure if this was answered already, though I thought I asked this.  Is SMF 2.1 going to switch to the HTML 5 DOCTYPE?  Or will it still be using HTML 4 (with dtds) as it does in SMF 2.0.2?  I highly recommend that SMF uses the HTML 5 Doctype and that we do away with the dtd link, etc..

Antes

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on November 22, 2012, 10:17:06 PM
I'm not sure if this was answered already, though I thought I asked this.  Is SMF 2.1 going to switch to the HTML 5 DOCTYPE?  Or will it still be using HTML 4 (with dtds) as it does in SMF 2.0.2?  I highly recommend that SMF uses the HTML 5 Doctype and that we do away with the dtd link, etc..

+1

Blackylol

2.0 to 2.0.2 mods will work on this when released ?, like, i have done a lot of work on my forums with mods and custom code and I wonder if I'll be able to upgrade it ?
SMF 2.0.2

Kindred

no. Many (if not most) 2.0.x mods will NOT work on 2.1 (unless the mod author used hooks) and themes almost certainly will not.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

emanuele

Well, the only answer I can give you is: you have to test it.

I didn't do extensive testing. Mainly install.

Several *should* work.
I tried SimpleDesk for example and with few changes (the biggest is change all the icons from gif to png :P) works rather well (it still needs some tweak especially to the editor).
I think SimplePortal needs a couple of changes to the install script because of some code that has been moved.
Some other mod I tested installs without issues (even with file edits). Some other will require more changes.

Of course mods with a lot of file edits (and in particular theme edits) are more likely not to work with 2.1.

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Antechinus

Themes that use mainly default templates, and only have their own index.template.php, should be fairly easy to update. It will mean a lot of css changes, but most of them can be copy/pasted in blocks from default.

Blackylol

But I mean, this 2.1 isnt like the 2.0 to 2.0.2 upgrade ? no need to reinstall all again? or it's necessary to start from 0 and just exporting users and messages ? because IF i want to upgrade from my modded 2.0.2 to 2.1 and automatic upgrade isn't possible, can I do it manually?
SMF 2.0.2

Kindred

no. There are no upgrade patches for version to version. only for sub-version

in other words
1 -> 2 NO
2.0 -> 2.1 NO
2.0.0 -> 2.0.1 YES
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: