News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Can't install Packages: This one is a little different.

Started by ChaosAffect, September 03, 2012, 08:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChaosAffect

I've spent the past three hours reading every thread I could to see if someone had the answer for me, but none did.

So here's my problem. I migrated over from phpBB. Originally I had SMF installed in a subfolder on my hosted server, but after I imported everything I backed up SMF, wiped the server (it had gotten messy) and then re-uploaded SMF to the root.

Originally I had a bunch of Packages installed, including Tapatalk and SimplePortal, but after I reupped there was a bunch of stuff wrong. Back to the drawing board, did a fresh install of SMF, Reupped my phpBB backup into a subfolder, imported everything again, and SMF is working fine.

Then I go to install the Packages again. Suddenly I'm getting a request for FTP info that I didn't before, and it's telling me that my path to SMF isn't writable. Went into the File Permissions and it won't let me change the path to SMF to writable. Went into my FTP server, set everything to 777. Still won't let me complete the installs. It won't accept my FTP info, either.

Help???? Oh, and BTW, I'm a total n00b at this stuff, so please go easy on me.

.Vapor

MrPhil

When you backed up SMF, I hope you used phpMyAdmin and not the SMF Admin backup. It's broken.

You should not go straight to 777 permissions. Many hosts ban access to such "world writable" directories (also 666 files) as a security hazard. Always start with 755, going to 775 if SMF complains that it is unwritable. Only go to 777 as a last resort.

Many hosts silently ignore FTP requests to chmod files and directories. You will need to go through your hosting control panel --> file manager to change permissions. If you are using SMF's package manager to upload a mod, I believe that it will ask for FTP details (did you get as far before?).

ChaosAffect

Quote from: MrPhil on September 04, 2012, 09:55:00 AM
When you backed up SMF, I hope you used phpMyAdmin and not the SMF Admin backup. It's broken.

You should not go straight to 777 permissions. Many hosts ban access to such "world writable" directories (also 666 files) as a security hazard. Always start with 755, going to 775 if SMF complains that it is unwritable. Only go to 777 as a last resort.

Many hosts silently ignore FTP requests to chmod files and directories. You will need to go through your hosting control panel --> file manager to change permissions. If you are using SMF's package manager to upload a mod, I believe that it will ask for FTP details (did you get as far before?).

When I backed up the forum I did a straight dl of all the forum files, then reupped them to the new directory.

Tried to change the permissions as you said, still no love. the Hermes path is still showing 750, with no way for me to change it.

I get the request for FTP details, but it will not make a connection. All I get is "Could not contact server"

MrPhil

How are you trying to change the permissions? It fails even from your hosting control panel?! It would not be surprising if it fails from an FTP client (Filezilla, etc.). 750 permissions are usually seen at the public_html/ level (site root). You should not be changing that one; only directories below it (to 755, and if necessary to 775 or even 777).

Yes, you need to d/l and then u/l the forum files (at least, the attachments and avatars). I was asking how you transferred the database. The SMF built-in backup is no good -- you should use phpMyAdmin or some other database tool.

ChaosAffect

Quote from: MrPhil on September 04, 2012, 11:17:16 AM
How are you trying to change the permissions? It fails even from your hosting control panel?! It would not be surprising if it fails from an FTP client (Filezilla, etc.). 750 permissions are usually seen at the public_html/ level (site root). You should not be changing that one; only directories below it (to 755, and if necessary to 775 or even 777).

Yes, you need to d/l and then u/l the forum files (at least, the attachments and avatars). I was asking how you transferred the database. The SMF built-in backup is no good -- you should use phpMyAdmin or some other database tool.

Sorry if it's all a bit confusing. I tend to just muddle through.

The first attempt was with a straight DL/UL. Obviously that didn't transfer the DB (D'oh!) so I had to do a fresh SMF install at which point I linked it to the original databse, then imported everything from phpBB.

As for changing permissions, I've done it over FTP and CP. Both times it recognized the changes, but the path to SMF (in my case /hermes/waloraweb041/b1793/moo.atlvaperscom   ) is still locked down. I've tried freeing it up via the SMF ACP, but no luck there, and obviously I can't access it via FTP or CP.

kat

Just a thought...

If you moved everything into a different directory, the paths'll all be screwed, won't they?

I think that's what was meant by...

Quote from: V@por on September 04, 2012, 03:05:54 AM
Check your settings.php and config file !

Have you done this?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

ChaosAffect

Quote from: K@ on September 04, 2012, 01:14:11 PM
Just a thought...

If you moved everything into a different directory, the paths'll all be screwed, won't they?

I think that's what was meant by...

Quote from: V@por on September 04, 2012, 03:05:54 AM
Check your settings.php and config file !

Have you done this?

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

OK, I've got that up, but everything is set to it's recommended value.

kat

What about the paths for the themes?

Admin>Themes>Theme settrings.

Click the theme name and you'll see the paths.

ChaosAffect

Quote from: K@ on September 04, 2012, 01:26:23 PM
What about the paths for the themes?

Admin>Themes>Theme settrings.

Click the theme name and you'll see the paths.

According to SMF the Theme path is correct.

kat

OK... You have CHOWN ownership, or the thing wouldn't've worked in a subdirectory and it did.

I'm still thinking "Paths", for some reason. Probably just a hunch.

What path(s) have we missed?

The directory names and file names. Don't forget that, on the internet, case DOES matter, unlike Windows.

For example, if your subdirectory is named SMF and you're using "smf", it's gonna croak.

Could it be that?

ChaosAffect

Quote from: K@ on September 04, 2012, 01:43:00 PM
OK... You have CHOWN ownership, or the thing wouldn't've worked in a subdirectory and it did.

I'm still thinking "Paths", for some reason. Probably just a hunch.

What path(s) have we missed?

The directory names and file names. Don't forget that, on the internet, case DOES matter, unlike Windows.

For example, if your subdirectory is named SMF and you're using "smf", it's gonna croak.

Could it be that?

Nope. All the folders are correctly capitalized.

kat

You know... I think it might be worth you telling your host what's happening (Or, rather, not happening) and ask them if there's anything, at their end, that might be causing this.

For one, simple reason.

It's weird. ;)

ChaosAffect

Quote from: K@ on September 04, 2012, 01:57:22 PM
You know... I think it might be worth you telling your host what's happening (Or, rather, not happening) and ask them if there's anything, at their end, that might be causing this.

For one, simple reason.

It's weird. ;)

To me the weirdest thing about it is that it all worked fine when it was in a subdirectory. I'm going to try a fresh install in a subdir and see if it does the same thing.

kat

Sure is a curious one and, if it works, when you do that, it'll still be weird. :)

Worth a try, though, just to see.

ChaosAffect

And that worked. Did a fresh install, created a new DB, and it's functioning perfectly. It doesn't tell me why the root forum is doing what it is, but maybe it'll provide me with a path to a solution...

OK, before I go and do anything drastic, what tools do I need to import the posts/users/etc from the malfunctioning SMF forum to the new one?

kat

Personally, I got to my site's CPanel>Files>backups and get the database, from there.

"Download a MySQL Database Backup".

You can restore it, there, too.

"Restore a MySQL Database".

ChaosAffect

Quote from: K@ on September 04, 2012, 02:12:30 PM
Personally, I got to my site's CPanel>Files>backups and get the database, from there.

"Download a MySQL Database Backup".

You can restore it, there, too.

"Restore a MySQL Database".

But if I do that won't I be getting the same problems I've been having? I'm thinking DL the current install, wipe the server, do a fresh install, UL the old install to a subdir, and then just import all the posts/users/etc to the new one.

kat

The posts, users, etc. are in the database. Nowhere else.

That MAY be where the rpoblem lies, thinking about it. If something in the database is pointing to the old URL, it could be why moving everything to the root made it croak.

Quite what, though, I can't imagine. A mod, maybe? PrettyURLs, perhaps? Something like that? SEO stuff?

ChaosAffect

Quote from: K@ on September 04, 2012, 03:01:14 PM
The posts, users, etc. are in the database. Nowhere else.

That MAY be where the rpoblem lies, thinking about it. If something in the database is pointing to the old URL, it could be why moving everything to the root made it croak.

Quite what, though, I can't imagine. A mod, maybe? PrettyURLs, perhaps? Something like that? SEO stuff?
The only mod that's currently installed, and the only one I could get to work, is a simple little thing that sticks a birthday cake next to a user on their Bday. Nothing else I tried would install.

Ok, so I just have to export the current DB, fresh install, then import it back? That'll do it?

kat

If you're using the same database, on the same site, you can just leave it where it is, pointing the install to the database.

Advertisement: