News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Your anti-spam measurements are far too extreme here

Started by Ecru, September 16, 2012, 10:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

青山 素子

Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kindred

Well, it uses the latin alphabet and arabic numerals....

but other than that, no Captcha is not in english specifically
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

floridaflatlander

As for this regular member, I much rather it be a small pain to someone new or with a few post and keep out as much crap as possible.
I would hope that they could look at the greater good and see it benefits them and all of us to keep that spam sh*t off of here.
How many members are here and how quickly are questions answered?
This forum is a great resource and I can only imagine how many spam attempts are made here and how tempting a target smf is.

MrPhil

It is a bit culturally biased. It uses the Latin alphabet and Arabic numerals, so if you're not used to handling them, being able to recognize distorted forms might pose a problem for some people. Of course, Greek or Cyrillic or Hebrew or Arabic or Chinese... would be a problem for me to recognize (or type in), although it certainly would throw the bots for a loop! Presumably if you're on a computer, you have at least passing familiarity with the Latin alphabet and your keyboard should have some way to type in its letters, so that shouldn't be a major hurdle. Needless to say, the instructions for what to do need to be in an appropriate language.

If bots are too good now at recognizing Latin letters, there are alternatives. You could show clock faces (different styles, different orientations) and ask what time it is (accept answers within 5 minutes or so). You could show abstract shapes and ask for the user to select from a list (using mouse or tab/enter). Note that either of these could pose a problem for visually handicapped people, unless great care was taken in providing an audio equivalent.

lotman

Quote from: kingW3 on September 21, 2012, 01:33:59 PM
Quick idea
A post moderation for first 10 posts until the first 10 posts are approved the posts after 10 posts doesn't show(for example if you post 150 times and your first 10 posts aren't approved none will show),and if approving them is a much of job for the team members you could give it to community helpers with more than 100 posts(i took 10 and 100 posts as an example).Mostly you will find at least 10 team members or smf heroes/super heroes this shouldn't be a much of a problem.
Another one
Disable links in signature and posts for the first few hxxp:collieart.com [nonactive] posts completely so if a spam bot links to any link like www. or wwwdot or www(dot) etc it will give them a error You can't post link(s) until xx posts
Still SMF support should be excluded in both cases

I agree with you. ..

live627

Colin

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

KitLightning

Hmm the captcha haven't bothered me for three years and it still doesn't :P

Colin

I found it slightly frusterating, but you won't have to  deal with it after one more post.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

KitLightning

Does that mean I can have a sassy avatar after this post :D

LiroyvH

((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

KitLightning

mashby

It's a 120X120 px square animation. Avatars are limited to 100px square and have a file size limitation, too. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

KitLightning

Unruler

I can definitely agree that it's more of a capcha's problem, some letters are just way too similar like u v g y so I cannot tell what the are. Perhaps you should go for capital letters.

And that avatar is terrible btw  :P

MorozAlex

Well i find these letters enough clear and in other case you can listen to the audio version of a captcha. Keep up good work!

Advertisement: