News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Dream Portal

Started by Dream Portal Team, October 03, 2012, 03:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoLoGHoST

Hello seano436,

I don't mind creating modules for Dream Portal that support other mods, since that is what DP was built for anyways, however, when making a request to build a module that supports another SMF Mod, it would be helpful if you included the url to this SMF Mod so that there is no confusion on which mod you are talking about.

Also, there is no recent images module for DP, unless you are referring to Recent Attachments.  Please be more specific.  URL to module helps, or if you ask in the Module Topic over at DP.net also helps.

420SA

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on November 24, 2014, 01:54:15 AM
Hello seano436,

I don't mind creating modules for Dream Portal that support other mods, since that is what DP was built for anyways, however, when making a request to build a module that supports another SMF Mod, it would be helpful if you included the url to this SMF Mod so that there is no confusion on which mod you are talking about.

Also, there is no recent images module for DP, unless you are referring to Recent Attachments.  Please be more specific.  URL to module helps, or if you ask in the Module Topic over at DP.net also helps.

Thank you I have posted on your site regarding the attachments mod.

The Gallery mod I was referring to is at this URL http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=473

Would be great if you could develop a mod for it  :)

SoLoGHoST

Hello again,

I have replied to your post on how to get images smaller at DP.net site.  Will look into the SMF Gallery Module.  I believe this was a Work In Progress at one point from one of the team members, however, was never finished.  Will see about finishing it up, or recreating it.  Will announce it when it is finished in the Announcements, as most/all new modules for DP get announced.

Cheers :)

vbgamer45

If you need help on that module let me know. Thanks
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

VastOne

I can honestly say that I have never expected my site to be hijacked (Home Page is now the Dream Portal) until I am APPROVED by a Mod? What exactly are you approving since you did not request a url (or was this gleaned from a link to your site from mine)? 

I understand your needs, but I have several hundred extremely unhappy people yelling at me as to why the Home Page is gone. If there was any warning about this I missed it.  I will give no more than 24 hours and then this mod will be gone

I apologize to everyone here on SMF as this is a DP issue, but I have no avenue to vent on the site until I am approved.

Yes I have disabled Dream Portal from core features until this approval takes place.  It is the principal that has me flummoxed...

Arantor

QuoteWhat exactly are you approving since you did not request a url

They are attempting to ensure you are not a spammer.

QuoteI can honestly say that I have never expected my site to be hijacked (Home Page is now the Dream Portal)

All the SMF portals do this, they create a new homepage and put a welcome message on it (kind of like how SMF has a welcome message as its first post)

To change it, you go into the DP configuration area in the admin panel, to the layouts area where you will see the 'layout' assigned to the home page, with a DP module in it, this is what controls the front page.

I have to admit though, I tried to use DP yesterday and found a number of issues, not least the fact that the theme changer module (which isn't even bundled) doesn't work at all. Couldn't recommend DP.

genius012

I'm having serious issues installing this mod as its altering permissions on my host and knocking my website into Internal server error 500

lordrene

Everytime i uninstall and delete it kills my website, i have to contact my host provider to restore

SoLoGHoST

Quote from: Arantor on December 31, 2014, 06:10:07 AM
I have to admit though, I tried to use DP yesterday and found a number of issues, not least the fact that the theme changer module (which isn't even bundled) doesn't work at all. Couldn't recommend DP.

Please take a moment to report bugs if you find any issues with Dream Portal.  Some of the modules have been built long time ago, and since not many developers over at DP, many have been built on-the-fly (quickly).  Some have even been built by people who don't fully understand how DP Modules are meant to be built.  I have to admit, the module system is not exactly flawless at it's core.  Some concepts do need improvement.  Updating modules is not an option either.

Please do take a moment to report bugs, or anything else that may cause you to not like using Dream Portal.  Simply saying, I don't like Dream Portal does not help us (or, specifically me) to code it into something that you do like and want to use for free.

@genius012 - I don't understand how you would get an 500 Error on installing this mod.  It would be very helpful to us all if you can provide more detail into this.

@lordrene - What does your host provider do?  Do you have any clue?  I would be concerned as to what your host provider has to do in order to bring back your website after uninstalling DP.  Perhaps this is a hosting issue?  Or maybe we can find out more in order to make using Dream Portal a more pleasant experience for you and others?

@VastOne -
Quote from: VastOne
Yes I have disabled Dream Portal from core features until this approval takes place.  It is the principal that has me flummoxed...

Approval of what?  I don't understand what approval you are in need of.  Are you not the administrator of the forum that you installed Dream Portal on?  What kind of approval are you in need of?

Arantor

I honestly didn't have time to go through and document all the issues I found. When I have more time I'll do that. But when the basic module installation doesn't even appear to work out of the box, I'm somewhat less motivated to do so, especially seeing that I was going to spend the time to write a module myself to bridge my gallery into DP... honestly, doing this with SP and TP was significantly easier than it looks like to do for DP.

As for the module I pointed out, that was one of yours. If anyone knew how to build DP modules, it would be you, right?

SoLoGHoST

Theme Module was created by the Dream Portal Team.  It should say so in the script.php/source.php file.  This means that more than 1 person in the team took part in it's creation.  I have had no problems installing Dream Portal right out-of-the-box.  Other people have not had problems either, so this seems to target a small audience with unknown platforms, etc..  It would be most helpful if there were more knowns here.

Also, what issue(s) have you encountered with the Theme Module?  Because, again, it works fine for me.  What does not work exactly?

Arantor

Aside from the general unintuitive nature of it (the fact that I had to go look up on your site about installing modules because no other portal (SP, TP, EP, PMx) unbundles like that), the confusing way layouts work, the theme changer never actually worked for me.

I mean, after 10 minutes of head-scratching I figured out how to get it to show up, but I'd select a theme, hit update, see refresh and nothing had changed. This was on an otherwise unmodified SMF and I really didn't have the time or energy to debug this. I figured I could worry about compatibility between my gallery and DP later, though now... I guess I can wait until someone asks me rather than actually trying to spend any time on it if you're going to be this helpful.

SoLoGHoST

Hello, maybe you can help me understand what the problem with the Theme Changer is?  I have it working quite fine, right-out-of-the-box here:  http://smf209.sitemaniacs.com/

I don't see any problems with it.  Perhaps you have something on your site changing your redirects when themes change?  Or maybe there is something different from your SMF Forum, than that of a Fresh SMF 2.0.9 install?

Arantor

Because it was an otherwise unmodified SMF install - as in freshly installed 2.0.9 albeit it with a selection of themes, all of which were installed beforehand, and I tried a number of themes to rule out that being a thing, it didn't even work on Curve, and this was a localhost with no htaccess file thus no redirections (and all the other portals were fine with this working). I don't know why it doesn't work and I have no interest spending any of my time debugging it.

SoLoGHoST

Dream Portal was not built for localhost though, so maybe that could be the problem?  It doesn't matter to me if you debug it or not, however, it does bother me that you report a bug without providing a way to reproduce this bug, other than it doesn't work.  I have tried, both, installing themes before Theme Changer module is installed, and even installing Themes after Theme Changer module is installed.  Both scenarios, can not reproduce this bug.

Arantor

For me, the steps to reproduce are simple: 1. Install DP. 2. Install theme changer. 3. Configure Theme Changer to show up. 4. Go to page with TC on it. 5. Select theme. 6. Press change button. 7. Observe as page reloads with no changes having occurred.

I get it doesn't repro for you. It does for me. I don't know why, but as soon as I get a user of my gallery that wants a DP module... I might actually care enough to investigate for you, but until then I see no reason to expend any more effort than necessary (like you did with the SD stuff on your board icons mod, really)

SoLoGHoST

Ok, thanks.  I don't have this problem.  Cheers :)

Switz_d0d

Any update on when the website will be back online?  Or the plugins hosted somewhere?

SoLoGHoST

Hello, I will look into it sometime this week.

SoLoGHoST

Hello, just to give everyone an update on what is going on with the site.  I've decided it is not worth any of my valuable time to continue this project.  Mainly because of the lack of support, the spam bots that would hit the site and spam all over it, despite the many many SMF plugins that were installed to help prevent this from happening, and many many other reasons.

Thanks to those who have supported this project at one point or another in the past, but the time has come for me to end Dream Portal's life, which doesn't seem like it will be missed much anyways, considering the lack of downloads compared to all other portals.

Advertisement: