News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Dream Portal

Started by Dream Portal Team, October 03, 2012, 03:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedealantiques

Can mods that have been abandoned by their developers just be removed to help unclutter what is actually available and working?

What a waste of time it is reading through this thread in hopes of a useful mod.  >:(

Arantor

Just because a mod is abandoned does not mean it is not useful to people.

wedealantiques

You're right...I keep forgetting that there is a portion of users that don't upgrade that often, so they won't encounter the issues that others may have by trying to stay current with the latest releases.

Arantor

There's also mods that haven't needed to be supported in years because they just work without any changes required.

zijO

QuoteHello, just to give everyone an update on what is going on with the site.  I've decided it is not worth any of my valuable time to continue this project.  Mainly because of the lack of support, the spam bots that would hit the site and spam all over it, despite the many many SMF plugins that were installed to help prevent this from happening, and many many other reasons.

Thanks to those who have supported this project at one point or another in the past, but the time has come for me to end Dream Portal's life, which doesn't seem like it will be missed much anyways, considering the lack of downloads compared to all other portals.

Sad to find out it stopped.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I am using it with SMF 2.1 for more then a year without any problems.  It is so good portal
with many options.

420SA

Quote from: zijO on January 21, 2017, 09:22:23 AM
QuoteHello, just to give everyone an update on what is going on with the site.  I've decided it is not worth any of my valuable time to continue this project.  Mainly because of the lack of support, the spam bots that would hit the site and spam all over it, despite the many many SMF plugins that were installed to help prevent this from happening, and many many other reasons.

Thanks to those who have supported this project at one point or another in the past, but the time has come for me to end Dream Portal's life, which doesn't seem like it will be missed much anyways, considering the lack of downloads compared to all other portals.

Sad to find out it stopped.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

I am using it with SMF 2.1 for more then a year without any problems.  It is so good portal
with many options.

Couldn't agree more. Still using this mod on my live forum and while I am working with ezportal on a dev site I still prefer the way dream portal was set up. The way you configure layouts in dream portal just seems to make more sense to me. Pity the development came to an end, I think it would do great on 2.1

SoLoGHoST

Too many people talked trash on this portal and tried to discredit it from the beginning and even up until the end.  This was the main reason I stopped development on it.  Because I got sick of the trash talk and drama surrounding this Portal.  The other reason was because of the lack of developers as I was the only developer.  We had some good developers in the past and others who contributed to it, but overall, it was a huge headache coding this in my free time all by myself.  And what was worse, is the bugs that other developers left behind that I had to fix.  All for what seemed like nothing to a community who was already, more than satisfied, using Simple Portal and/or EZPortal and/or Tiny Portal.

Dream Portal Team

This mod actually works on a fresh install of SMF 2.0.14 and seems perfectly fine, despite the dream portal site no longer being around and the inability to download the 20+ Modules and 3+ Module Templates, as well as the Russian and Spanish Language packs I had available for download on that site.  Ofcourse, you can always create your own Modules/Templates for it.  Just an FYI.

**EDIT
I tried to originally package all modules with the Portal so that I wouldn't have to offer them separately.  But this was a problem with getting Dream Portal across the finish line and approved here on the SMF site, since "Source" and "Template" for modules were never separated, and seemed like too much work at the time to do this, which is why SMF would not approve it with the Modules attached (as what Simple Portal provides).  I would assume that Simple Portal has separated this properly in order for approval from SMF, but that's just an assumption.  Never used Simple Portal.
This is the universal account for the Dream Portal Team. All messages sent to this account will be discarded.  Please visit us at:  Dream Portal dot net for support and extensions to Dream Portal.

SaltedWeb

Has this been installed with the 2.0.15 by anyone ?
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

SaltedWeb

Tried install on the new SMF version it doesn't show up but installs with no errors.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Apllicmz

SoLoGHoST

Dream Portal won't show up until you activate it via the SMF Core admin area.  Maybe that is what you didn't do yet?  Try going to the SMF Core Features admin area and look for Dream Portal in there.  Let me know if you don't see it in there.

SaltedWeb

Hi there, oh yep sure did it was activated, some reason it wouldn't show up.
I ended up using Simple Portal no issues.  I have a test forum I may try it on to figure out the problem.

SoLoGHoST

Works fine for me, nothing in the Error Log and displays perfectly fine.

Kestryll

Anyone else get locked out of their Admin area by this?
I installed it because it came up as compatible with 2.0.15 but after the install when I try to access the Admin area I get a white page with 'Hacking Attempt'.

MamaTea

Quote from: SoLoGHoST on March 09, 2017, 03:05:21 AM
Too many people talked trash on this portal and tried to discredit it from the beginning and even up until the end.  This was the main reason I stopped development on it.  Because I got sick of the trash talk and drama surrounding this Portal.  The other reason was because of the lack of developers as I was the only developer.  We had some good developers in the past and others who contributed to it, but overall, it was a huge headache coding this in my free time all by myself.  And what was worse, is the bugs that other developers left behind that I had to fix.  All for what seemed like nothing to a community who was already, more than satisfied, using Simple Portal and/or EZPortal and/or Tiny Portal.

OH MAN, first of all I just tried almost all of the portals and I didn't really like any of them until yours.  It is very nice.

Secondly "Your haters are your biggest fans"

I don't know what their deal was but you have created something beautiful and, so far, (an hour in) it works perfectly on my 2.0.15

I do wish I could get my hands on some of those modules though!! HAH! (I came here to see if I could find some somehow  ;D :laugh:)

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Kali S. Garcia

420SA

Quote from: MamaTea on June 06, 2018, 03:14:27 PM
Quote from: SoLoGHoST on March 09, 2017, 03:05:21 AM

OH MAN, first of all I just tried almost all of the portals and I didn't really like any of them until yours.  It is very nice.

Secondly "Your haters are your biggest fans"

I don't know what their deal was but you have created something beautiful and, so far, (an hour in) it works perfectly on my 2.0.15

I do wish I could get my hands on some of those modules though!! HAH! (I came here to see if I could find some somehow  ;D :laugh:)

Thank you for all of your hard work!

Kali S. Garcia

I've got 18 of the modules. How do I go about about sharing them if that's allowed. They were downloaded in 2014 but still working on my 2.0.15 site today

Advertisement: