News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

New unread posts

Started by alsthom, October 05, 2012, 01:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsthom

Hello.
Is this the right behavior of the forum?

-You login to the forum see that there are some new posts in x categories.
-You go to one category [it has the icon of new posts=on.png] and open it.
-You see that there are 10 topics unread. And you read 5 topics.
-Then you close the category leaving 5 posts unread.
-If you hit the refresh or click the start page link, the icon that indicates new unread topics has changed to off.png! Meaning that there are no new unread topics. But as I said I left (example) 5 unread.
-The icon remains on if i hit the back button of my browser.

Is this how it supposed to work?
Please advise.

Kindred

yes, that is completely as designed.

As you say, once you leave the board, it does not makr "new" topics until there are new topics, since your last view of that board.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

Simply put...Yes. When you view a board and you see 10 new and you only view 5, the system still knows you've see the 10. So the next time you view the board index, the indicator is off.

Ninja'd by Kindred :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

alsthom

@mashby do you talk about messages or topics?

mashby

not sure of the difference. To me a message or a topic is a container of posts. When viewing message/topic indices or the posts inside of them, you have essentially "read" the board thus turning the status to Off until a new message/topic or post is made.
- James M. Barrie

alsthom

This is confusing (for me) :-(
Look at the image. I read only two topics of this category and I left so many unread. The icon in front this category is off. I think this is not right.
But somewhere (another smf forum ) I noticed the right behavior of the new indicator. I noticed the icon , it was on2.png.  ???

Kindred

no... the behavior you describe *IS* correct.

Whether you have READ them of not, once you go into a board, that board is "seen" and the ON icon will not display until there are NEW topics SINCE you last visited.

ON2 is used to indicate new posts in a child board.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

alsthom

What a pitty! :-[
This is working nice in kunena or phpbb. I mean that  the icon of   the categories remains on, until a user reads all messages.

I am suprised that it is not working here.

Anyway thank you very much for your answers! 8)

Kindred

alsthom,

It **IS** working exactly as intended.... so there is nothing to be surprised about.

I don't know about phpbb, but kuena has the same behavior.
Слaва
Украинi

alsthom

An example for me here. I am at   http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php#c3
In front of the topic "Support smf 2.0" the icon says that there are no new messages. In fact inside there are many new! I repeat that this is NOT happening in kunena or phpbb. The icon is on untill a user reads ALL messages. And that's is the right thing in my opinion.
Don't want to fight or argue with you 8)
Thank you again
I can live with that :)

mashby

That just means you've viewed the board once and haven't read all of the new topics/replies. One way to "fix" it so that it might work the way you expect it to is set just always show NEW for all boards when viewing the main index. :)

At least if you view the Support 2.x area, not all of the topics are marked as read. :)
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

as you say, I don't mean to fight, but I also run a kunena forum... and it acts exactly the same was as SMF.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

And it does all this to keep performance high. If you were to go through every time and figure out if all the topics were read or not, it'd kill the database.

It's better than vB which seems to decide almost randomly.

alsthom

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=465097.0

This is excactly what I was looking for.
I don't want to have a topic marked as read when there are uread topics in to.
Removing those lines (mentioned at the other topic) solved my issue.

Just for the history ;)

Thank you.

Advertisement: