News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[WIP] Vertical fixed menu theme

Started by Mick., December 23, 2012, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

Been working on this nifty theme today, http://www.idesign360.com/community/fixed/index.php

So far the html structure and the least of css is done.  Now in the process of integrating it to SMF ;)

Comments?

ARG01

Interesting design so far. Now to get some content other than simple text and I am sure it will turn out nice.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Mick.

Thanx ARG.

So far so good. The forum board is in place. Now time to relocate the user info to the top of the post so it looks nice and tidy.

The Craw

Nice and simple. I like it. Might look nice if you lightened up some of the darker text colors. #333 maybe. :)

ARG01

No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

TwitchisMental

Hummm now that is a nice  interesting theme. I can't wait to see the final product.

stylusss

It's nice because it's unique; the problem I have with it is that no one needs to see "Home | Search | Etc" everywhere they browse in your site. That's why stuff like that is left at the top, because it becomes an eyesore if someone is using your forum everyday. I don't know, just the way I see it.
For top-notch server quality and expertise, visit CoreISP.net

Robert.

ARG01

Quote from: stylusss on December 24, 2012, 01:25:25 AM
It's nice because it's unique; the problem I have with it is that no one needs to see "Home | Search | Etc" everywhere they browse in your site. That's why stuff like that is left at the top, because it becomes an eyesore if someone is using your forum everyday. I don't know, just the way I see it.

I am confident that the point of this theme is to have the very option that you are opposed to.  Some like the option, some don't. ;)

Antechinus

The other way of doing it, which tends to be better if screen width is restricted, is to fix the menu across the top of the screen. Or, you can just have it fixed at the side with a hide/show toggle. All of these are easy and have been done before, so it's just a matter of picking whatever you like most.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on December 24, 2012, 08:13:00 PM
The other way of doing it, which tends to be better if screen width is restricted, is to fix the menu across the top of the screen. Or, you can just have it fixed at the side with a hide/show toggle. All of these are easy and have been done before, so it's just a matter of picking whatever you like most.
yup. The Facebook knockoff theme i made last has the menu fixed.  This one on the other hand, i was browsing for Wordpress templates and one called my attention, fixed vertical menu.

Mick.

Really it's easy, dynamic drive have these generic templates. That's how I started the markup on the body and menu hehehe

Antechinus

Pfft. You don't need Dynamic Drive's stuff. That's usually way out of date, and comes with a restrictive license. Just code it yourself, with jQuery if you want any fancy effects. You'll get a cleaner result with no license hassles.

Example: I'm curently playing with a new default theme for the site I run. It uses standard hover drops for mouse/desktop (I may end up running those just with CSS3 transitions) and for touchscreen it auto switches to click-to-open drops.

That then has media queries in the touchscreen stylesheet to do further tweaking based on screen size. So, if you're on a tablet with a fairly sizable screen, the drops are under the tab as usual. However that's not so good on a tiny phone screen (drop content may be out of view). So for 480 and under the positioning switches to fixed and centered, so all the drop menu content is right where you want it. :)

This is not difficult to do if you code it yourself, but you'll never find it on DD. ;)

Mick.

Im also looking into responsive design. It may, may not be too difficult but i have not looked into it yet.  The darn css3 is way too much but sure looks nice.

iMiKK

Advertisement: