News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Subs-Db-mysql.php goes into dangerous loop

Started by SimpleJoe, January 14, 2013, 08:21:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimpleJoe

Hello, I would like to request that a bug be fixed that I have seen occur on 2 different forums on the same server that have other forums running without any problems. Somehow the file Subs-Db-mysql.php gets caught in a loop and it can rack up gigabytes of log space within a very short time as is lists all the thousands of error messages. It maxed out the /dev/sda2 portion of a well-configured and fully updated cPanel server within a few hours.

More details are here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=423482.0

The fix posted by Arantor on that topic is here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=423482.msg2969724#msg2969724

I don't know much more about the specifics as that is in the topic I referenced, just hope that this can be added to the next release as this can affect an entire server.

thanks for your expertise,
Joe
Hosting Simple Machines since YaBB -- One of the first SMF Forum Hosting providers with Chat and FTP for the inner developer in us all.

Arantor

And I doubt it'll be added, because of the number of people this affects is surprisingly small. It's an edge condition, rather than a true bug.

SimpleJoe

While doing a scan of a server I noticed this issue affected two additional forums. I am guessing this issue often goes unnoticed because error logs are often rotated and people don't look closely at their server to see what is creating the most errors. One IP number alone had accrued about 50,000 error_log entries from this bug within a very short time.

The forum I just had to repair this on was 2.0.3 on a fully updated server that doesn't have load issues. I would sincerely request that the fix be added to the next stable release, as without it the software is not fully stable.
Hosting Simple Machines since YaBB -- One of the first SMF Forum Hosting providers with Chat and FTP for the inner developer in us all.

Arantor

And yet in the 6 1/2 years of running multiple forums on my VPS, I've never seen this even once... (and I *do* check the logs)

This is more of an isolated issue than I think you realise - and I wouldn't rule out misconfiguration on your host's part at this point in time.

SimpleJoe

Thanks, I understand. However the server is an updated stable cPanel install with other forums running without problem. I did notice on the original thread you mentioned the problem may be happening more than before, so if the mods feel so inclined, perhaps it will be added.

thanks again for your insight

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: