News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Email Stopped working

Started by br360, January 14, 2013, 01:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

br360

Hi all. So like the title says, as of a couple of hours ago my form email stopped working. ( pm's to emails, notifications of new posts, and especially new members when they register are not getting the approval email.)

I checked my error log and everytime I approve a member, I get 2 sets of errors:

It is the same error, but it pops up twice. One that says "guest" and their ip address, and a duplicate that has my handle and my email address.

Here is the error: https://xxxxx.com/index.php?action=register2Unable to send mail to the email address '[email protected] ( it is happening to all email carriers and not just gmail)

I did call my host, which didn't really help that much as they saw no errors. I did have them start a ticket, but that may take up to 72 hours and I figured that it may not even be a host issue.

Any advice please?

Colin

Are you using send_mail or SMTP?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

br360

Storman™

Make sure you are not on a blacklist:

http://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Enter your IP in the link above.

Can you also post the actual error message (free free to amend the domain name if you wish), as I've no idea what that link is that you posted ??

Thanks

;)

br360

Yeah, it doesn't appear that the ip is on any blacklists at all. The error was posted above, and when I did I forgot to take out the https part (that's why it turned into a link)

Here is the error I am getting-

mysite.com/index.php?action=register2Unable to send mail to the email address 'xxxxxx@gmail. ( it is happening to all email carriers and not just gmail)

Colin

This is leading me to think it is a host issue. Have your host get back to you and let us know what they say.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Colin

One thing to verify is, is the forum admin email correct and using the same domain as the server is on?

Colin

br360

Quote from: Colin on January 14, 2013, 04:10:06 PM
One thing to verify is, is the forum admin email correct and using the same domain as the server is on?

It has been all this time, and since I haven't changed anything, I would assume it still is. I am still waiting for an answer from the host, but here is an update if it helps- It appears that the pm's, and notifications that were sent out last night did eventually find their destination. They were delivered hours later, and had the timestamp of when they were received, and not when they were sent. all the pm's and such sent this morning though still haven't arrived t their destination.

Could it be conceivable that a lag of 8-9 hours is possible, and what could cause that if that's the case? Also, not sure why I would still be getting the duplicate errors immediately when approving a member, if it was just a very long delay.

Colin

Yes this is possible. It means they are getting stuck in your hosts mail que. That is not an SMF issue and needs to be addressed with your host.

Regards,
Colin

Colin

br360

Ok, then I will wait it out and see what they say. I will give an update with their reason, and hopefully be able to check this as solved.

Colin

Colin

br360

Ok so it appears that the other day we had a big jump in membership and pm's. Turns out that we went over our limit of email notifications for the day, and the que backed up, only to send out all of them in one gig bunch the next day. This repeated for a couple of days until the que finally cleared. This is why I was getting the error.

Thanks again all for the help.

Colin

That makes sense. Sure thing. Let us know if anything else comes up.

Colin

Advertisement: