News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Spam Attacks

Started by Wood_Jedi, January 19, 2013, 02:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wood_Jedi

I am getting spam members daily posting spam on my SMF Forum. I have the anti-span setting set to high and they also have to answer 3 random questions to get in, yet they are still getting in.. As I delete each post, I delete each member and I block that members IP address.. but still more come, I am getting 2-3 new spam members a day an each is posting 5-10 spam posts.. My time should be spent corresponding with my members,  Answering questions, interacting, yet I spend have the time fighting off spam attacks.. What else can I do??

Arantor

That says to me the questions are either not set up properly, or they're way too easy.

Costa

I was using only reCAPTCHA, then I've been attacked by spambots.
Then I enable the verification questions. Though they are very easy, any spambot registered since then.

FYI, my questions are very simple.
What's the color of teh white horse?
What's the colour of green grass?

It's workiing until now x)
Hugo "Costa" Fernandes - PT SMF
Todas as MP's a pedir ajuda são sujeitas a radioactividade, microondas, queimadas e atiradas borda fora.

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

waris

Add the 2 MODs below to strengthen your forum security.

1.  Bad Behaviour and

2. Forum Firewall

They are available from the MOD download pages.

Wood_Jedi

My questions are not easy and one must answer all 3 in order to be able to register they are

Who is the founder of the UFOWW?(First name only)
A 45 degree cut on the end of a board is typically called a ?
Typically when purchasing lumber you may buy a 8/4 board, how thick is 8/4 in inches?

as I said, all 3 must be answered correctly in order to register.... yet the are still getting through.... ?

I will look into the 2 mods you suggested... are the mods safe? are the creators trusted? or are they themselves a gamble when picking a mod? are you potentially picking a hack site, virus, spyware, etc???

Arantor

Quoteas I said, all 3 must be answered correctly in order to register.... yet the are still getting through.... ?

This is why I asked if you were sure it was set up properly. Those questions meet the general rule of not being easy to look up on Google, though honestly I can see all sorts of issues with your questions.

A 45 degree cut... presuming you mean a dovetail joint, also known as a swallowtail joint or fantail joint, or even a mitre cut?

The 8/4 part... I'm assuming you're meaning between one and three... but is that in numbers or words?

QuoteI will look into the 2 mods you suggested... are the mods safe?

All mods on this site are vetted by the SMF team before they can be posted here.

Wood_Jedi

My forum and website is a woodworking forum... and the forum is for site members only, the questions are easily answered by my followers and members, but for non woodworkers, or anyone who does not follow me or know who I am, they should be rather difficult to answer... especially for a spambot or some russian drug pushing company spamming posts about discount pills all over my forum...

The forum is only open to UFOWW members only, so they should know who their founder is an be able to answer the other two questions... it is not open to the general public.

Arantor

That's not my point. I'm no woodworker yet I found the above answers in a *matter of seconds*. And even I can see the ambiguity in them. Taking the question about the inches, for example... if you put in the word and users type the number, it won't work, or vice versa. That's one of the curses of using anti-spam questions: it only accepts one answer per question.

Though I still have the belief that it's not set up properly.

Advertisement: