News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cannot hide who's online list even when unticked.

Started by techwg, January 28, 2013, 02:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techwg

I have tried to hide the "Who's online" list but it always remains. I have tried uninstalling all mods and even set the default theme. Still the online list is always there even when logged out and browsing as a guest from a fresh internet browser. What is going on? Is there something else I need to do to prevent the who's online list?

Arantor

You actually can't turn that list off without editing the code - the option you've unticked just hides the full list showing what people are actually doing.

techwg

It says "Enable who's online list". If I untick that option it should "Disable" the who's online list. It does not. That is a bug.

Arantor

Well, it's been that way for 10 years, and every single time it's been declared 'not a bug' because it's working as it is designed.

The fact that you disagree does not change these facts.

It is not going to be changed in 2.0, it *might* possibly (highly unlikely) be changed in 2.1.

emanuele

You mean the "Users online" section of the info center?

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Yup - even when the 'who's online list' is disabled, that part of the IC always shows, even to guests.

I know I changed it in Wedge ages ago, but I seem to recall I tied it to permission to view who's online list rather than enable/disable.

emanuele

Yep, I think it would make sense to hide it...I thought I touched something like that a while ago, but probably was something completely unrelated... lol

* emanuele is tired...and should go sleep... :(

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

kerso

Quote from: Arantor on January 28, 2013, 03:16:54 PM
Well, it's been that way for 10 years, and every single time it's been declared 'not a bug' because it's working as it is designed.

The fact that you disagree does not change these facts.

It is not going to be changed in 2.0, it *might* possibly (highly unlikely) be changed in 2.1.

Hi man, that's actually a bug, because we are clicking to button to hide, but it never hides. Guest people can see the who's online list under information center.. Also from the user permissions, we set for hiding the who's online list,  but still who's online list is exist. that is a bug, the functionality may work but it musn't show it.

How can i fix that issue, i just wnat to enable/disable with the button on "features and options" page..

emanuele

If you need to disable it on your forum you can edit index.template.php and remove the relevant part (or comment it out), at the moment I don't have the code handy so I cannot give you the exact position... sorry.

1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Arantor

Just to follow up on this, it's still not a bug because what's being disabled with that option is the *full* who's online list, including what they're currently doing, not the mini list on the board index.

But in hindsight I'm inclined to change its behaviour anyway despite it not being a bug because it does err on the side of violating the Law of Least Surprises.

Advertisement: