[WIP] Making SMF Responsive

Started by Mick., February 16, 2013, 01:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on March 25, 2013, 03:36:19 PM
Nice job. :)
Thank you.

Now the task of a custom theme for me. lol i dont like the one i have now bahaha

Antechinus

Tell me about it. That's always a problem. :D

Antechinus

Hey just thought of something: how have you handled the menus?

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on March 25, 2013, 04:35:38 PM
Hey just thought of something: how have you handled the menus?

Custom.  At least this particular theme.  My next theme will have the classic horizontal menu with the use of Subs.php and take from there and see how it behaves.  For now on mobile will still use the 'select' drop down style.

Antechinus

Cool. I went with a js-based click-to-open menu, just because some of the things I wanted to do with selects wouldn't work on both Android and desktop browsers.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on March 25, 2013, 04:49:47 PM
Cool. I went with a js-based click-to-open menu, just because some of the things I wanted to do with selects wouldn't work on both Android and desktop browsers.

Yes, I too like the js-based for mobile. Specially the twitter bootstrap. Looks much neater imho.

Antechinus

TBH I've come to like it (meaning js click menu) for desktop too. Works well on both. I got tired of trying to make hover menus behave properly all the time. It always seemed that there would be some situation where they would annoy me. Having the damned things only open when I deliberately choose to open them solves things nicely. :D

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on March 25, 2013, 04:58:28 PM
TBH I've come to like it (meaning js click menu) for desktop too. Works well on both. I got tired of trying to make hover menus behave properly all the time. It always seemed that there would be some situation where they would annoy me. Having the damned things only open when I deliberately choose to open them solves things nicely. :D

How about no js?

-webkit-transition: all 0.4s ease-out;
-moz-transition: all 0.4s ease-out;
-o-transition: all 0.4s ease-out;
-ms-transition: all 0.4s ease-out;
transition: all 0.4s ease-out;

Antechinus

Nah. Still effin annoying sometimes. Also, not supported by IE9 or lower, unless you run extra js just for them. I'm conditioned to think about accessibility for as many people as possible.

Thing is I'm a fussy bastard (just ask anyone). Transitions are good for some stuff. I use a slight delay on menu buttons, so the hover effect doesn't flash at me if I'm just scrolling past the menu. Like this:

-webkit-transition: 0.1s ease-in-out 0.05s;
-moz-transition: 0.1s ease-in-out 0.05s;
-o-transition: 0.1s ease-in-out 0.05s;
-ms-transition: 0.1s ease-in-out 0.05s;
transition: 0.1s ease-in-out 0.05s;

That gives top level menu buttons that stay cool if you aren't actually selecting them, but with a smooth and quick hover effect when you really do want to hover over them. Since it's only a nice visual touch, it doesn't matter if some browsers wont support it.

One thing with droppys is mouseout delay. IMO, they should stay put if someone tracks off the menu by mistake. This is a common problem for many people, especially if you have a three level menu (or more). So, if you make the thing stay put when you go off the edge, then it'll also stay put if you trigger it by mistake. That can be really annoying, and stopping it means a delay on opening, which is also a PITA sometimes.

After trying a lot of things to get around those problems, and looking at the amount of code required, and still having the result being annoying sometimes, I said "F@#k it" and went with the clean and simple option. :D

Mick.

I know what you mean. Even here i have to go back to the dropdown cos i got off it too quick.

Antechinus

The ones here are just basic CSS2, which works but is a bit of a nuisance.

ETA: But the ones I use have a fallback to pure CSS2, just in case someone has js disabled.

Mick.

I went back to my previous theme but too made it responsive.  mUch better lol.  Now this time, instead of using a 'select' dropdown, i use icons  :P

Mick.

Well, I got it pat down. Lets make some smf responsive themes now.

Demo? Resize my forum @ http://idesign360.com ;)

Out themes will have SimplePortal mod support for now. Eventually the others portals will be supported.

Antechinus

Where the hell is the forum? :D I seriously cant find it.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on April 06, 2013, 04:20:20 PM
Where the hell is the forum? :D I seriously cant find it.
hahaha I don't have a direct link on the menu since I always kept my site to be a blog like website.

Direct link http://idesign360.com/community/index.php?action=forum

Antechinus

Well that's gonna be a usability problem then.

Antechinus

Message index is buggy below 480 on Firefox. :) Loses the last post stuff off the side of the screen.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on April 06, 2013, 04:37:00 PM
Well that's gonna be a usability problem then.

No. Thats how i have my forum setup. Not the responsive themes.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on April 06, 2013, 04:40:19 PM
Message index is buggy below 480 on Firefox. :) Loses the last post stuff off the side of the screen.
Thank you. I knew about this but totally forgot.

emanuele

My Opera on my linux doesn't like your forum! LOL

Works fine with any other browser! ;)

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Advertisement: