News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Not recognising some ascii characters suddenly

Started by joeyjojoshabadoo, February 21, 2013, 10:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeyjojoshabadoo

Quote from: Arantor on February 21, 2013, 10:38:47 AM
Neither of those are ASCII characters. And I'm not sure of their status within ISO-8859-1 encoding which is what your forum is using.

Back it up and convert to UTF-8 from the admin panel. It might not fix existing posts but it will ensure future posts will work.

did it, and all looks good now mate. Thanks again for your help.

Arantor

Quote from: joeyjojoshabadoo on February 26, 2013, 12:13:21 PM
did it, and all looks good now mate. Thanks again for your help.

Awesome :)

Quote from: MrPhil on February 22, 2013, 10:03:01 AM
I will let the evidence speak for itself. When JoeyJJS comes back and says, "the host admits they misconfigured the server the other day and was forcing UTF-8, and now they've fixed it and the pages display fine," I will enjoy watching you eat crow.

I think the evidence does speak for itself. Pie's in the oven.

MrPhil

Not the same thing. JJJS changed his forum to work around the hosting problem, rather than having the host fix the problem. All the same to him, but the original cause was never addressed.

Arantor

The only person who ever saw it as anything other than ISO-8859-1 was you... but it's funny how I suggested it up front and now mysteriously it all works, isn't it? According to you that should never have worked, right?

MrPhil

QuoteThe only person who ever saw it as anything other than ISO-8859-1 was you...
And both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Arantor

MrPhil

And for the original poster (the only way to get the ?-in-black-diamond glyph is to be displaying in UTF-8).

Arantor

Which would be funny if that was what I saw... which it wasn't.

Advertisement: