Auto-save replies

Started by snadge, March 12, 2013, 08:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snadge

Hi

I have had issues a couple of times in my forum where ive lost all my post either because the delete button BACKED the page - or (like the other night) my dodgy mouse highlighted the whole post when i clicked in to delete a number and before i realised I pressed delete - obviously when this happens there is nothing you can do to rescue it, I was gutted as i had spent 2 hours making this really long article about haswell processors...!!!

I noticed on other forums (such as Sky Forums) that they have an Auto-Save feature that saves your post as your typing it, every 1 minute or something - is there such a mod for SMF that can do this?

thanks

Arantor

Search for 'drafts' on the mod site.

Chalky

Try a browser plugin called Lazarus which saves your text as you type on all sites.

Quote from: snadge on March 12, 2013, 08:58:01 PM
my dodgy mouse highlighted the whole post when i clicked in to delete a number and before i realised I pressed delete - obviously when this happens there is nothing you can do to rescue it

If you are using a Windows PC, try Ctrl+Z  ;)

Arantor

I would also note that 2.1 has auto saving of drafts ;)

snadge

Quote from: Sabrinova on March 12, 2013, 09:19:07 PM
Try a browser plugin called Lazarus which saves your text as you type on all sites.

Quote from: snadge on March 12, 2013, 08:58:01 PM
my dodgy mouse highlighted the whole post when i clicked in to delete a number and before i realised I pressed delete - obviously when this happens there is nothing you can do to rescue it

If you are using a Windows PC, try Ctrl+Z  ;)

CTRL+Z didnt work lol.... nothing happened as that was the first thing I tried, it seems to work if you dont do anything after deleting it (which I didnt) , pressing delete three times seems to stop it from working... but for whatever reason it did not work for me

thansk for the browser plugin though :)

snadge

Quote from: Arantor on March 12, 2013, 09:22:10 PM
I would also note that 2.1 has auto saving of drafts ;)

could you direct me too this? there are two... neither are version 2.1 and one is outdated - neither mention 'auto-saving' which is what I want

thanks

Arantor

Are you using SMF 2.1? I'd be very worried if you were, since it's a pre-release bit of software.

But search the mod site for 'drafts', and you'll find both of them, and at least the one credited to 'Spoogs' does auto saving. I know, I originally wrote it.

snadge

Quote from: Arantor on March 15, 2013, 04:55:08 PM
Are you using SMF 2.1? I'd be very worried if you were, since it's a pre-release bit of software.

But search the mod site for 'drafts', and you'll find both of them, and at least the one credited to 'Spoogs' does auto saving. I know, I originally wrote it.

nope? Iam referring too you saying "version 2.1 has autosaving of drafts" as if to imply I should be looking for 'drafts' version 2.1..?

I tried Charles version but didnt work properly and many others had same problem of the 'remove drafts' feature not working...that was the only bit I tested, so got rid...i got that version as I thought you may have meant 2.0.1 which was the version number

anyway I will give spoog version ago (v1.1.4)

snadge

unfortunately that mod doesnt work either :( - I had to fake my SMF version to 2.0.2 to get it installed...nothing, no drafts buttons and no options in Admin... same happens to lots of mods I try - seems they may only work with the default theme..

Arantor

Quotenope? Iam referring too you saying "version 2.1 has autosaving of drafts" as if to imply I should be looking for 'drafts' version 2.1..?

No, SMF 2.1 has auto saving drafts.

Quotenothing, no drafts buttons and no options in Admin...

If there's no options in admin, it didn't install properly and may be representative of other mod installation issues. I'm using it right now on one site.

snadge

Quote from: Arantor on March 15, 2013, 05:40:20 PM
Quotenope? Iam referring too you saying "version 2.1 has autosaving of drafts" as if to imply I should be looking for 'drafts' version 2.1..?

No, SMF 2.1 has auto saving drafts.

Quotenothing, no drafts buttons and no options in Admin...

If there's no options in admin, it didn't install properly and may be representative of other mod installation issues. I'm using it right now on one site.

is it not because Iam using a different theme? I wonder if I install it again on default theme the options would appear>?

I do have some mod issues...EZ-Portal is installed and I cant uninstall it - I need to get an expert to help manually remove it, are there such people on here that could help with this and is there a charge?

Arantor

Quoteis it not because Iam using a different theme? I wonder if I install it again on default theme the options would appear>?

Not the admin options, no. They're not theme dependent.

As far as uninstalling goes, there are people who can help, plus there are instructions on doing it yourself - Manual Installation of Mods (just in reverse), as well as people that will do it for a modest fee.

snadge

I could do it myself as I have already delved into it before but I decided not too change anything, but I think its best having an expert on hand doing it for me

thanks

Advertisement: