News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

can i set my forum up like this??

Started by unoit, April 09, 2013, 01:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrPhil

Could you explain your concerns about problems this may cause? If this could really cause a problem, I'd like to know why, so I don't give bad advice again (seriously).

The first example should kick in only if the visitor gives the domain name and optionally a /. Anything giving a URI (beyond /) shouldn't be affected.

The second example should kick in only if the visitor gives the domain name and the directory path, optionally ending in a /. Anything beyond that shouldn't be affected.

Arantor

QuoteCould you explain your concerns about problems this may cause? If this could really cause a problem, I'd like to know why, so I don't give bad advice again (seriously).

The big deal is that there are places where the referring URL is actually important.

There certainly used to be - and I assume still are - certain places where referring URLs are checked, and there are places where REQUEST_URI is validated against what's found in $_GET. From an authorisation point of view, it's one facet of validating against clickjacking and/or session hijacking.

Doing a hard redirect would ensure that the right values are always passed where they should be.

I'll let Kindred tackle the navigation issues.

That, and the fact that dumping someone into a board is actually bad user experience (anyone who's ever seen Vanilla or Discourse will likely understand what's wrong with it), and in all likelihood a portal will actually be a better experience for a landing page.

Chalky

Have none of the themers thought of doing a naira-type premium theme?  Looks like someone could rack up a fortune...  ;)

Advertisement: